Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Exhaust removal difficulties

Old 10-26-2012, 10:21 PM
thr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust removal difficulties

Hi all,

I'm trying to take off the cross over pipe and I'm having a whole lot of trouble getting to the bolts that connect it to the exhaust manifold. I haven't even attempted the bolts connecting the other side to the turbo. Does anyone have some suggestions for specialty tools I might need or a certain technique I should know about?

TYIA
Old 10-26-2012, 11:19 PM
numbskull
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The easiest way to remove the bolts where the headers meet the xover pipe is to setup a long extension rig from the top to hold the top bolt, and another person uses another socket extension from under the car to remove the lower nuts. Was not that successful doing this myself without duct taping extensions, locking pliers with a piece of a wood block as ridiculous as that sounds. I suggest the 2 person method, much quicker, and remove that clinky heat shield by the oil filter to get top extension in.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:39 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

torch, pb blaster and a couple wrenches. I believe 14 or 15mm
Old 10-27-2012, 12:22 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I've got a thread going on a local forum that is tracking my head refresh and some other winter work. Here is a post on the tools I used to remove the bolts where the header meets the crossover pipe. With these tools I can do the job by myself from underneath the car:

Originally Posted by chrenan
Tools from the work this weekend. This group was mostly for releasing the headers at the bottom where they join the cross over pipe. Embarrased to say I don't own a true stubby ratchet. I use the vintage Snap-On F-70 ratchet in the picture as a substitute, its reasonably short as you can see from the stubby wrench laying beside it - at least a couple of inches shorter than a standard 3/8 ratchet. The Vice Grips were for pulling the dowells from the head that locate the cam box.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:35 AM
thr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah nice thank you guys I'm gonna try a bunch of this stuff tomorrow with my buddy after helping him move

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust removal difficulties