Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   best way to clean engine block and parts? (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/721799-best-way-to-clean-engine-block-and-parts.html)

Paulyy 10-15-2012 04:20 AM

best way to clean engine block and parts?

which is the best way to clean the block and parts that bolt on to the block?

i used diesel and dabbed it on and got rid of most of the oil buildup and gunk everywhere but it's not as clean as i want it to be, is there any product that'll just rip everything off?

DLS 10-15-2012 05:27 AM

I used a pressure washer with hot water to most parts.
The block i sandblasted and painted :)

Paulyy 10-15-2012 06:00 AM

i was thinking about sandblasting, probably need to tape some parts up before i do like the balance shaft covers.

JET951 10-15-2012 06:00 AM

No offence DLS but sandblasting a block is a big no no. even if you block off the galleys sand will still get in there and it sticks on corners inside the block. even after rinsing and water blasting the sand/garnet can stay in there. possibly later become loose in the oiling system

High pressure water is fine though. Paulyy we have found petrol to be a better cleaner then diesel. Being a silicon alloy block they can come up fantastic when cleaned up.

Paulyy 10-15-2012 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by JET951 (Post 9918962)
No offence DLS but sandblasting a block is a big no no. even if you block off the galleys sand will still get in there and it sticks on corners inside the block. even after rinsing and water blasting the sand/garnet can stay in there. possibly later become loose in the oiling system

High pressure water is fine though. Paulyy we have found petrol to be a better cleaner then diesel. Being a silicon alloy block they can come up fantastic when cleaned up.

thats what i was afraid of, so i was sceptical do to my block with a sandblaster.. same thoughts.

never thought petrol would be a good cleaner, will try tomorrow. thanks! :)

JET951 10-15-2012 06:14 AM

You can do some parts, such as the balance shaft covers or sump separate, so long as you can visually inspect them to be absolutely clean after. Also depending on what media you are using it can be a porous finish(such as garnet) so even though its clean it will attract dirt quite quickly. Walnut/ glass or steel shot can give a different finish which may be more desirable.

Petrol a great cleaner, just be sure your in a ventilated area and your wearing gloves. Oh and no ignition sources.

DLS 10-15-2012 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by JET951 (Post 9918962)

None taken :)

Yes sand blasting is maybe not a good idea but my block was in bad shape and i was really thorough when i cleaned it afterwards and i mean really really thorough;)

But for most people high pressure water will be enough so stay away from sandblasting the block.

Ski 10-15-2012 06:30 AM

I've used a pressure washer and aluminum brightener, like a party barge hull brightener and it comes out looking pretty good.

xsboost90 10-15-2012 08:05 AM

ive used some condensor cleaner for air conditioners - acidic so be careful, but its meant to safely clean aluminum.

Scott H 10-15-2012 08:17 AM

Could just drop it off at a machine shop and have it sonic cleaned.

Ski 10-15-2012 08:30 AM

That's what I miss about living in the bigger metropolitan areas, choices.

CurtP 10-15-2012 09:41 AM

I used Eagle One MAG wheel cleaner (the one that says "effective cleaning for rough cast alloy wheels") with great results. It's an acid, so like with the AC condenser cleaner, you have to be careful.

The downside is after a couple years, my block looked pretty much the same as it did (minus the grease/oil buildup).

Paulyy 10-15-2012 09:51 AM

thanks guys for the tips! i'll try petrol (your 'gas') and see how it turns out, if not so good i'll buy some of that acid but i think i might have some laying around.

txhokie4life 10-15-2012 10:49 AM

What your options if its still in the car?

I pulled my turbo -- but that whole side of the engine is a mess from repeated oil leaks
and popped dip sticks.

I was thinking of simple green and some brush action as best I can get in there.

thanks,

Mike

User 52121 10-15-2012 11:33 AM

40 cans of brakekleen and a few donor brain cells.