Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What's your favourite circuit and why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 03:44 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SirLapsalot
The first and only time I drove the ring I was terrified my first lap. Being used to road courses we have here in the U.S. that track can be intimidating if you don't have every corner memorized. It is even worse if there are a lot of cars out at the same time especially really fast ones. Its a very different track from what we have here and is in a class of its own. I never came up on someones bumper that was cruising along, people seem to be pretty good about watching their mirrors and using their blinkers but the really fast blind corners in the really fast section are intense.
Cool, did you rent a car just for the ring? The number of corners was the other thing I was thinking would be a huge challenge at the ring. Here I think the most I have to remember is 15 corners. I'll bet it's a steep learning curve lap after lap since you see so many other turns by the time you complete a lap and get back to the turn you want to improve upon. I hope to drive there someday, but I'm not going to be crushed if my times suck.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:03 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by odb812
Cool, did you rent a car just for the ring? The number of corners was the other thing I was thinking would be a huge challenge at the ring. Here I think the most I have to remember is 15 corners. I'll bet it's a steep learning curve lap after lap since you see so many other turns by the time you complete a lap and get back to the turn you want to improve upon. I hope to drive there someday, but I'm not going to be crushed if my times suck.
I rented a Suzuki Swift Sport from a company called Rent4Ring with all the racey options available. It was the cheapest car that still had a roll cage and harnesses. Also you have to be older to rent the fast cars. I went with a friend who has done 40 something laps and ended up renting an MX5 Miata. We traded cars for a lap and that Miata was amazing. For about a year I practiced the track a lot on Playstation to try to get familiar with the track before going and those video games don't event come close to doing it justice in real life. The elevation changes, blind corners, and sense of speed really are not portrayed by the games but it does give you a basic understanding of the layout. There is no recording of lap times, the long strait at the end is not used, you enter at the end of the strait to start your lap and exit at the beginning of the strait so no way to really record lap times on a regular day when its open to the public. You don't need to worry about lap times to have fun at that track, its more about the experience.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:54 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Well except for the guns, economy and steering wheels on the wrong side I would.
You would need to get used to drinking a gallon of coke with your McD combo too!
Old 10-13-2012, 10:34 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote for favorite circuit is Mid-Ohio, great fun and also a bit on the sentimental side with my racing school and some races both driven and spectated there...

Road Atlanta and Road America rock too, liked Road Atlanta better before the dip on the back side got filled in, but understood why they did it.

Lots more that I think are really cool, but just haven't driven, like Spa, the 'Ring, Laguna Seca, ah heck, let me out on any track and I'll have fun!

Quick Reply: What's your favourite circuit and why?