Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Project Pikes Peak

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 01:32 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-32
Cool project - look forward to seeing it come together and really interested in the plans for lots of downforce. Now that its all sealed, I guess the "comedy" wings of the past are not quite so necessary?
yeah im not going to go to big on the down force. big rear wing, rear diffuser, front slitter and maybe some gt3 like wing-lets on the front.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:35 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by reno808
Nice wish list. However should take that money and enroll in many events and track school as you can.
ive been getting a lot of seat time and performance driving instructions from FAASST. next year they want to make me a saftey driving instructor. i plan on going to other schools also.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:36 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

i love those old pikes peak videos!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:51 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooreBoost
ive been getting a lot of seat time and performance driving instructions from FAASST. next year they want to make me a saftey driving instructor. i plan on going to other schools also.
Thats good. Rally school helps alot too with this kind of course. I know a few ppl that has competed in this event
Old 10-05-2012, 02:05 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

please feel free to make any suggestions you might have.
Dont kill yourself.

Realistically, I am not sure how much seat time you have in road racing.

When I road raced motorcycles I had a Honda RS125. It was low power but good cornering ability. I had to learn to keep speed in corners.

My personal opinion is there are two ways to look at a road coarse. A bunch of dragstrips connected by corners OR a bunch of corners connected by dragstrip.

It is much easier to use a point and shoot car (i.e. a bunch of dragstrips connected by corners) than high corner speed car.

You also wont get any sponsors until you prove yourself. Everyone thinks they are going to have a dream of a fast race car and someone else is going to pay for it because they can have their name on the car. Guess what, if my goal is only to have my name on the side of a losing car in a professional race, I will drive it myself. If my goal is to own a winning car and pay for someone else to do it for me, I am going for someone with a proven track record.

As an example. My father in law used to be in charge of the corporate race sponsor program at the company he worked at. They sponsored one of the best. It was good for PR and people knew the driver and the car. In fact, if I said the name and car, I suspect 95% on this forum would know it.

Really, my recommendation if you want to run a 951. Do all yoru chassis work and set it up. Use a stock engine and learn to drive. Race it a time of two on the hill climb with a stock engine. Learn to drive it fast in the corners and then add power.

You asked....
Old 10-05-2012, 02:38 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanaT
Dont kill yourself.

When I road raced motorcycles I had a Honda RS125. It was low power but good cornering ability. I had to learn to keep speed in corners.

My personal opinion is there are two ways to look at a road coarse. A bunch of dragstrips connected by corners OR a bunch of corners connected by dragstrip.

It is much easier to use a point and shoot car (i.e. a bunch of dragstrips connected by corners) than high corner speed car.

You also wont get any sponsors until you prove yourself. Everyone thinks they are going to have a dream of a fast race car and someone else is going to pay for it because they can have their name on the car. Guess what, if my goal is only to have my name on the side of a losing car in a professional race, I will drive it myself. If my goal is to own a winning car and pay for someone else to do it for me, I am going for someone with a proven track record.

As an example. My father in law used to be in charge of the corporate race sponsor program at the company he worked at. They sponsored one of the best. It was good for PR and people knew the driver and the car. In fact, if I said the name and car, I suspect 95% on this forum would know it.

Really, my recommendation if you want to run a 951. Do all yoru chassis work and set it up. Use a stock engine and learn to drive. Race it a time of two on the hill climb with a stock engine. Learn to drive it fast in the corners and then add power.

You asked....
This sounds like a solid plan. Who doesn't like to say I have (blank) amount of HP though?
Old 10-05-2012, 03:05 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanaT
Dont kill yourself.

You asked....
well said
Old 10-05-2012, 05:37 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Good luck! Definitely get some seat time. One of the biggest mistakes that led to all the tragedies at the event this year was the limited practice time and the amount of amateurs they allowed to run.

Hope you have a very large bank account...
Old 10-05-2012, 06:11 PM
FBIII
Three Wheelin'

A fellow rennlister doing Pikes Peak in an 928.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good God Almighty, that is the meanest sounding 928 I have ever heard.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:34 PM
FBIII
Three Wheelin'

The pikes peak car had a turbo 2 valve engine. He dropped a 900 hp 4 valve stroker in it to compete at Bonneville Salt flats.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:00 PM
944Phil
Racer

Old 10-05-2012, 09:41 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

dana here is a little info about myself. in 2004 i bought a 944 na. spent two years learning about the 944 and attending pca de events. hopped on rennlist and got the lecture about "dont waste your money on suspension and trying to turbo your na, instead get seat time". so thats what i did. i then bought a 951. got the 951 up to shape and got even more tack time. i may not have scca and nasa championships but i have a little more seat time then you probably think i do. in fact i got enough track time and got my "name" out there at the local track, that a racing school wants to recruit me as an instructor. but your right, there is always room for improvement. so 6 years of daily driving and tracking a stock 944 turbo is enough seat time in my opinion to move forward.

in the 8 years of owning 944's i also learned how to wrench on these cars. i have 6+ years of wrenching on not only 944's but all kinds of Porsche's from 356's to 997's to audi's to bmw's etc ect... 6 years is not a lot compared to most but then again im still in my 20's. i do plan on building my own car and have been collecting parts for years. i dont plan on getting sponsors to give me 10k to dump into my car but using sponsor money for entrance fees, tires and the little stuff like that. if no one wants to sponsor then thats fine. i know enough local businesses that would love to help out.

once i build this car i dont plan on taking it straight to the mountain and racing. i plan on learning how the new car drives. if you ask anyone who races up the mountain they will all tell you its not about racing other people but more importantly its about finishing. anyone can go to race tracks and race but this race is special. its the second oldest race in the united states and is on most people's to do list. people even come over seas to race it.

thank you for your input.

Last edited by MooreBoost; 10-05-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:57 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

oh and btw we have different opinions about a road coarse
Old 10-06-2012, 05:57 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

oh and btw we have different opinions about a road coarse
????