Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dodged a bullet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 04:08 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Dodged a bullet?

So this week I've been leaving for work late in order to get my son off to daycare in the morning (which opens at 7a). Wife usually does it but she's had something else going on this week that requires she leave the house early. The daycare is actually an in-home daycare run by a neighbor of mine down the street.

So for whatever reason yesterday, my son (8) took it upon himself to walk over there without telling me. I had the car running in the driveway, am looking all over the house for him and can't find him. Decided to head over to the neighbor's and sure enough, there he was. I was pissed about it (ahhhh kids!) but the saving grace of the whole situation came to when I walked past my car to hop in - and caught a slight whiff of fuel.

Rolled the car back into the garage, popped the hood, started sniffing around - turns out the jumper fuel line (between the rail and damper) was leaking. Not bad - just enough that if I washed the fitting down with brake cleaner and started the car for a second (long enough to be sure the line was pressurized) the fitting got barely damp.

What's frustrating is that this is already an aftermarket jumper line, and the leak was in the fitting itself (at the connection that grabs the braided line and connects it to the metric fitting). For now I just yanked it (along with the damper) and ran the return line straight on the rail. The pump seems to make a lot of racket now but at least it'll get me by until I figure out what I want to do with this jumper line.

Still, could've been worse. Had my son not wandered off to the daycare on his own I probably would've driven it to work that way and might not have noticed it until it was too late!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Kids know things from another dimension that adults can't see.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:21 AM
Mangonesailor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's stories like this that make me glad I found this site before driving the hell out if my car. Otherwise I would've never suspected my car had a fuel leak a month ago and I would've had a black engine to go with my black car.

Can't wait to install my LR rail. It'll be nice to have that reassurance.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Good save,Jim! I took some heat for using the genuine jumper when I replaced mine, but it was less $$ than aftermarket.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:17 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mangonesailor
Can't wait to install my LR rail. It'll be nice to have that reassurance.
Nice catch OP!

Mangonesailor, I would not trust the reassurance that comes along with installing any rail that has half the mounting points of the factory rail. I'd suggest searching for the various horror stories on the subject, such as Aaron's, before installing--especially if your motivation is to reduce the chance of leaks.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by odb812
Nice catch OP!

Mangonesailor, I would not trust the reassurance that comes along with installing any rail that has half the mounting points of the factory rail. I'd suggest searching for the various horror stories on the subject, such as Aaron's, before installing--especially if your motivation is to reduce the chance of leaks.
LR redesigned the Fuel Rail to use 4 mounting points. http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Part...AILBILLET.html
Old 10-05-2012, 08:08 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Scott H
LR redesigned the Fuel Rail to use 4 mounting points. http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Part...AILBILLET.html
Nevermind, Mangonesailor. Looks like you have nothing to worry about if you have this redesigned rail.

Thanks for the correction, Scott. I haven't been on the LR site in a while.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Mangonesailor
Racer

Originally Posted by odb812
Nevermind, Mangonesailor. Looks like you have nothing to worry about if you have this redesigned rail.

Thanks for the correction, Scott. I haven't been on the LR site in a while.
Yes, it is a 4 point rail. At first I was wondering what you were talking about after my folks sent me pics of the box contents when they received it.

Thanks though for the catch. I very well could've been up a certain creek without a paddle... with banjos in the background.

Quick Reply: Dodged a bullet?