Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Winter project started early

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012 | 10:34 PM
944Phil
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter project started early

So I blew my head gasket. Puffing smoke under boost and at startup, mayo under the oil fill cap.

I'm not bummed though becuase i had a good summer with the car doing my first DE, and i actually enjoy working on the car when i don't have to rush.

I've done a lot of work to the car the last couple of years and after the head gasket she will be almost new.

yesterday afternoon I poped off the head and things went very well. I removed the head without removing the exhaust manifold. This made it very easy.

The only issue i had was that i was not able to warm up the car first and could not properly empty the coolant out of the block. My garage is now covered in kitty litter to soak it all up.

I think it was the original headgasket and it looks a bit tired. I can't find the break in any of the fire rings....... uh oh, should of done a leakdown test first. Also the cylinder head has some swollen spots where it contacts coolant though the HG. Is this normal? The head is going to be machined and o-ringed and a WF HG installed, i was thinking about sending it to CEP as they have a good reputation on rennlist.

The pistons have some valve marks on them.... but the valves look fine, see pics. Did one of the many PO's break a timing belt or mess up a timing belt job?

Also the cylinder walls looks good except for one spot about .5" long where i can catch a fingernail ....... i think i'm going to leave it as is.

I'll post pics as the project progresses.

If the budget allows i'll probably add a Rogue M-tune, as the car is stock except for 3" exhaust, tial 38mm WG and Apex'i boost controller.
Attached Images    

Last edited by 944Phil; 10-08-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-03-2012 | 11:30 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Isn't Chris White cylinder head guy Canadian? If so saves you sending it across the border!

Just a thought. If you send to CEP make sure they don't over declare the value or you will pay out the *** in customs fees.

Jason
Old 10-03-2012 | 11:52 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Isn't Chris White cylinder head guy Canadian?
He's fantastic and local for us but generally only works "carte blanche" on time and money but his work is just phenomenal.
Old 10-03-2012 | 11:52 PM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you like your Apexi EBC? I have one and it offers a lot of features, just wish it displayed psi and not bar.
Old 10-04-2012 | 12:20 AM
944Phil
Racer

I thought Chris White was in NY state. He also has a good rep on here. I don't plan on putting the car back on the road befroe April 1 anyway.

I like the Apex'i controller, but i haven't taken full advantage of it yet. Pressure in BAR doesn't bother me, but i still prefer PSI. Probably going to add a boost gauge over the winter also.

Does anybody have any idea why i have valve marks on the cylinder?

Quick Reply: Winter project started early