Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My version of the center console gauge panel

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:47 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone have pictures of the upper part of the 968 door panel?

Originally Posted by Chris White
A couple of things to think about (I have done quite a few of these) –
Whatever gauge you put on the right side will be obscured by the shift **** for a lot of the time. Depending on your driving position you will hardly ever see it!

www.frontpanelexpress.com is a great resource!

The actual panel opening is not a rectangle – it is slightly narrower at the bottom.
I went into this with the notion that the right side will be obscured, but it hasn't been a problem with my setup. It may be because of my shifter - it's considerably shorter than the OE setup.

I used frontpanelexpress.com for mine - only I used multiple panels to make up the assembly instead of just one.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:08 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 10-31-2012, 12:38 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtP
I went into this with the notion that the right side will be obscured, but it hasn't been a problem with my setup. It may be because of my shifter - it's considerably shorter than the OE setup.
Or perhaps you only drive in the even numbered gears...
Old 10-31-2012, 12:40 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Sam, love your car. Beautiful.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:44 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd like to cover the top portion of my 968 door panels in leather and I actually think I'd be ok doing it myself right up until I got to that big indentation to the right of the tweeter in Sam's picture.

I had an upholstery guy look at it once and he sort of mumbled something about leather not being that flexible and then he changed the subject, which did not exactly inspire confidence.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:14 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks Shawn!

Im planning on taking my panels off and sending them along with a set of sport seats to either 928leather or Paul Champagne at some point, prob next year to see what they can do. I was planning on having them redone in leather but it may be too tricky? I like Paul's porsche script pattern and was thinking of doing that on the seat centers/door panels.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:11 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Well, I gave recovering the front header panel with Alcantara a shot - and failed miserably. I have enough material to attempt covering the A-pillar trim pieces, but after the header panel fiasco, I'm not sure I'm going to even try.

I did manage to get the trim rings on the center console gauges replaced today. Now they're an exact match for the gauge cluster trim rings.

Speaking of the instrument cluster - that's my next project. I replaced the light tunnels with LED replacements and two of the three have failed. I'm working on making the gauges backlit - I'm fed up with this front-lit nonsense!
Old 11-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Bob Ward
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed
Old 11-11-2012, 01:33 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great! Love the Porsche factory radio.

Where did you source your gauge rings from?? I have been searching and searching for a set but the only ones I can find are what Jager sells, and they seem a bit unnecessarily expensive...

Very interested in seeing what you come up with for future gauge placement. I've been hemming and hawing over where I'm going to place my EGT and trans temp gauges. Don't like the A-pillar and everywhere else is filled up!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:51 AM
CurtP
Drifting

I got the trim rings from eBay: http://stores.ebay.com/THE-TUNING-SH...p2047675.l2563
They're great to deal with and they were able to get me the exact rings I needed for my gauge panel.

As for the gauge cluster, I'm keeping the stock look. At this point I don't know if I'm going to have the factory boost gauge or not. Part of me wants it, part of me doesn't. I'm also working on making the gauge pointers lit. I got my first set of orange dial pointers and already have them modified to fit. My hope is I can completely do away with the front lights entirely.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:30 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks-- hot damn! Been looking everywhere for those bad boys.

I know what you mean about keeping the factory look. A few years ago I retrofitted red LEDs (my car is red) and I really do like the look. Would probably prefer to be backlit but not a big deal for me right now.

Another touch I really liked doing was installing a euro 944S tach in place of the stock 951. The tach redlines at 6800, which matches my tune, and best of all doesn't have either the factory boost gauge OR the MPG gauge.

As of right now, I'm thinking of installing my EGT gauge in the trim piece that contains the foglight and headlight switches. Essentially right where the lower vent is. Never use that flow adjuster anyway.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:31 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CurtP
Well, I gave recovering the front header panel with Alcantara a shot - and failed miserably.
I attempted an a-pillar a couple of years ago with Alcantara and failed miserably as well, I figured it was just me. It was tough to work with, didn't stretch/bend much and I ended up with wrinkles as I recall.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:42 AM
CurtP
Drifting

It was a combination of the material being unforgiving and my lack of patience. I'm sending them off for recovering. I thought about covering the front header panel with the headliner microsuede, but I think it'll look weird with those pieces being mismatched.

The instrument cluster project is rolling. I'm waiting to hear back about the gauge faces. I'm off to eBay to see what other gauge needles are available. Right now I'm playing around with some from a GM truck, but they're a bit too long. I'm not sure I really care for their overall look either.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Slayer952
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

latest re-arrangement
Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2012, 06:10 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Hi Sam. Door looks great. Am I right in thinking it is a 968 trim on a 86 951 or is it a 968 ?
I am about to add the 968 speaker enclosure/armrest to my 86 door trims. I decided to not get the 968 trims due to shipping costs and I love my script door trim/seats. It looks like the speaker enclosure should fit with out too much modification. Anyway all that is neither here nor there, what I am wondering is there a thread or pics of your interior somewhere, and where can I get your interior door handles ?
cheers
Cyberpunky

Quick Reply: My version of the center console gauge panel