My version of the center console gauge panel

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 06:54 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtP
So - what did you do with your old trim rings? How do they mount? I'm going to have to dig up one of your posts so I can take a better look how the rings look.

Stepping the plates is a good idea. I'm going to have to ponder that for a while. I don't know if they can radius the edge or not. I guess the questions remains - is it worth the effort, or does it look good enough now?
I think I sold the old rings to a RL'er in Australia a few years ago. They are a fairly snug fit and I used a bit of contact cement to hold them in place. You can come in from behind after you take out the instruments or you can pull the clear plastic that covers the gauge cluster and then just re-glue it. I'd recommend this route.

Honestly, it looks great as is. I'm sure it's less obvious in the real world, it just stand out a bit more when you take a picture head on with good lighting. And, in truty, it's the radio that doesn't fill the space, not your gauges.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:30 AM
andycowman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the gf mutters 'disarmed' when I turn the button off, I shout all sorts of rubbish when turning it on! May be when over taking I should announce 'i've got tone'?
Old 10-25-2012, 05:12 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Interior is mostly wrapped up. I still have to install the back seat cubby and clean up some adhesive overspray. Overall I'm very happy with how it turned out. Of course, it took longer than expected, cost more than anticipated and there are a couple of things I have to go back and fix. Yes, I'm aware that my radio says "GPS error". I didn't reinstall the antenna - I'm not sure where to put it now. Before I hid it in the gauge pillar pod.
Attached Images    
Old 10-25-2012, 05:38 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow, looks great Curt, well done!

Like the new dash, like the gauge rings, like the gauge panel. Very clean.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:22 PM
CurtP
Drifting

I bought enough Alcantara to cover the A-pillar trim and front header panel, but I haven't done it yet. I'm debating if I want to or not. My worry is it'll be too much and make the sunvisors stick out like sore thumbs. I used microsuede for the headliner, but I haven't done the sunroof panel yet - I've been hoping for a new Saratoga top!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:51 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

I originally did my A-Pillars with the headliner material you can get at a fabric shop, as well as the header panel, etc. but never got around to doing the sunroof itself. Ended up going back to the stock vinyl a-pillars, etc. (I had bought a spare set). I cleaned them and sprayed them with SEM low luster clear and it made the sheen match the leather dash a bit better.

I'm happy for now, although you're right, with a Saratoga top one wouldn't have to do the sunroof...
Old 10-26-2012, 02:12 AM
Copilot
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought enough Alcantara to cover the A-pillar trim and front header panel, but I haven't done it yet. I'm debating if I want to or not. My worry is it'll be too much and make the sunvisors stick out like sore thumbs. I used microsuede for the headliner, but I haven't done the sunroof panel yet - I've been hoping for a new Saratoga top!
Looks fantastic. Out of curiousity, where'd you buy the Alcantara? How hard is it to wrap the dash yourself - you use patterns or just kind of "freestyle" it?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:04 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks great Curt. I have never been a fan of gauge trim rings but I like them on your car because it does bring the design together
Old 10-26-2012, 09:17 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Originally Posted by gregeast
I originally did my A-Pillars with the headliner material you can get at a fabric shop, as well as the header panel, etc. but never got around to doing the sunroof itself. Ended up going back to the stock vinyl a-pillars, etc. (I had bought a spare set). I cleaned them and sprayed them with SEM low luster clear and it made the sheen match the leather dash a bit better.
Now that the top of the dash is Alcantara, do I make the trim match, or leave it vinyl? I keep going back and forth with the idea and can't make up my mind. My long-term plan is to have the door cards recovered in Alcantara/leather to match the dash. I'm almost tempted to use the material I have to cover the black vinyl on my door cards instead. The Alcantara shifter boot was made by RedLine Goods and I like it so much more than leather.

Originally Posted by Copilot
Looks fantastic. Out of curiousity, where'd you buy the Alcantara? How hard is it to wrap the dash yourself - you use patterns or just kind of "freestyle" it?
Classic 9 Leather Shop did the dash and I bought extra material from them. The dash wasn't something I wanted to chance, so I left it up to a professional. Judging by all the intricate cuts to get the material to lay correctly, it appears that Alcantara isn't anywhere as forgiving as leather. Even the microfiber I used for the headliner was a PITA.

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
Looks great Curt. I have never been a fan of gauge trim rings but I like them on your car because it does bring the design together
Personally, I'm not a fan of the trim rings either. But the console gauge cluster didn't look right without them and I had to tie the look together. I'm going to get in touch with the guy who sells them to see if he has anything that will fit in my console. They're pretty close, but I'd like for them to be exact.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:04 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interior is mostly wrapped up. I still have to install the back seat cubby and clean up some adhesive overspray. Overall I'm very happy with how it turned out. Of course, it took longer than expected, cost more than anticipated and there are a couple of things I have to go back and fix. Yes, I'm aware that my radio says "GPS error". I didn't reinstall the antenna - I'm not sure where to put it now. Before I hid it in the gauge pillar pod.
I really like the black carpet with the beige. I have the beige carpet...

Maybe I need to change mine out to black.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:08 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Once you go black (carpet) you'll never go back...

Curt: Maybe buy a spare set of a-pillars to experiment on? As I recall they're fairly cheap on Ebay. Let me look at the ones I put the foam backed headliner material on, if I can get it off fairly cleanly I can send it to you to play with?

I've been wanting to do the tops of my doors in leather to match the dash as well and have the leather to do it but the 968 door cards have some interesting curves that I think will require a pro to install properly.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:54 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Alcantara is really expensive - I don't want to waste it experimenting. My current trim pieces aren't in the best shape, so maybe I'll strip off the foam backing from some of the headliner material and experiment with it first.

How are the 968 door cards different? I have the 944 10-speaker door cards in mine - I thought the main differences were the 968 used round tweeter grills and the door pockets were deeper (and actually useful).
Old 10-29-2012, 10:38 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

The best part of the 968 door cards is that the upper part is curved and not so angular, so if you rest your arm on it, its much more comfortable. Out side of that, the tweeter is slightly different but not much else is.

Regards, ...Scott
Old 10-29-2012, 11:59 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott nailed that point. Drive across the country from Cali to Fla and you will FEEL his point. Freaking SUX! Curt, your car looks GREAT! Well done!
Old 10-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

A couple of things to think about (I have done quite a few of these) –
Whatever gauge you put on the right side will be obscured by the shift **** for a lot of the time. Depending on your driving position you will hardly ever see it!

www.frontpanelexpress.com is a great resource!

The actual panel opening is not a rectangle – it is slightly narrower at the bottom.

Quick Reply: My version of the center console gauge panel