Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Who Produces this Front Lip Spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 05:07 PM
james6speed
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 100 Posts

If i could find a bed liner in a **** can that looks smooth, I think I'd have a winner.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:47 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the black as it matches the side skirts.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:50 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I lied, mine was the street version (same version as azbanks), not the race version that 333pg333 has. No problem with scraping at all with the street version, but I did need to use long ramps for loading my car onto my trailer for hauling to the track. I'd stay stick with street version, it's already an aggressive design and I'm sure provides a lot of front downforce. It also made a noticeable improvement in cooling - more air being jammed through my rad and oil coolers and less drafting under the car.

My 951 was black, and Joe's splitter comes with a very nice gloss black gel coat on it. I'd say leave it as-is no matter what colour your car is.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:50 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by james6speed
Question for you lister's: Since most of you guys have good taste, let me ask you guys your opinion on the splitter. Which do you prefer, black or red?
The company I used(line-x) can do a lot of different colors. You could probably get them to do GR bedliner.

I liked the black because I think it flows with the black plastic side skirts.

Does Joe build them with the balsa wood core or are his all FG?
Old 09-28-2012, 03:21 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Joe's splitters are all fg. They are very solid, I do not see why anyone would want to reinforce it even further. I heard that TonyG copied Joe's splitter and added balsa wood to the underside.

FYI, Joe also fabricates other fg pieces, including hood vents and has recently branched out to 996 GT3 splitters (lucky me!)
Old 09-28-2012, 04:34 AM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats the price on joes ones?
Old 09-28-2012, 06:31 AM
james6speed
Pro

Joe charged me $350 shipped. Just for comparison, GT Racing just got back to me yesterday and this is what they quoted me on their carbon fiber version:

"Hi James! Sorry we are just getting back to you now. We had to price out the carbon for this special request. The price for this splitter in clear carbon showing is $500.00. The carbon and fiberglass splitters are made the same way. They do not have any holes drilled in them and they do not have hardware for fitment. This splitter fits under the stock turbo bumper and most folks are using the clip type “Stock” nuts that are on the car. They are fairly easy to install."

The Joe Toth Splitter has all the holes drilled, but unsure of the hardware. Someone may want to quote on that.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:01 AM
james6speed
Pro

Does anyone have pre-made supports like these for their splitter that are available for purchase at this time?

Last edited by james6speed; 08-22-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:29 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I make them.

Yes I initially copied Joe Toth's design. But only because he wouldn't do it the way I wanted and called me a ****ing idiot for wanting to reinforce it.

Um... I don't think so. His design has several flaws. The first being that it's extremely easy to break because the glass doesn't wrap back around under. Rather it just turns down and stops. If it touches anything it will crack and break. There's no way this thing would stand up to a racing environment for long.

So I reinforced it with some balsa composite.

The second problem with his design is the the angle of the splitter. It's not correct. I fixed that too.

The third problem, is that without reinforcement, it flexes all over the place at speed. This is a big problem because any flex of a splitter at speed, changes the AOA of the splitter. Further, the the change of the AOA isn't even consistent from left to right. This can cause big problems with the handling of the car at speed.

That said.... if you are racing the car at speed... you never want a splitter that flexes.

TonyG

Last edited by TonyG; 09-28-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:22 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got mine from Tony and the balsa makes the splitter really strong. With the bed liner added to it, mine is just about bullet proof.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Seattle944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by azbanks
The company I used(line-x) can do a lot of different colors. You could probably get them to do GR bedliner.

I liked the black because I think it flows with the black plastic side skirts.

Does Joe build them with the balsa wood core or are his all FG?
If you don't find bedliner you could always use wrinkle coat and a heat gun. I've used it on an intake manifold and boost tubes. It holds up well.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:06 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

I'm not interested in arguing Joe's splitter vs Tony's modded-version of Joe's. Just a comment from a happy customer. This thing does not flex, it's super solid. Maybe Tony got an earlier version that was thinner fg or something, as there's NO WAY the one on my old car was flexing at speed. For comparison, I have a Porsche Motorsport Cup splitter on my GT3, and it's nowhere near as stiff as the Joe Toth splitter I had on my 951. Sure, fg splitters will crack if you run into a curb. I never had a problem with mine after a couple years running street and track with it.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:18 AM
james6speed
Pro

I have decided to use 3M undercoating on it, as I like the smooth finish and it matches the rubber spoiler. I may use supports but they are more for the look since it's just a street car and they are not necessary. I'll have to move or remove my Euro plate to do it.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:52 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IanM
For comparison, I have a Porsche Motorsport Cup splitter on my GT3, and it's nowhere near as stiff as the Joe Toth splitter I had on my 951.
FYI, those splitters (they are not splitters BTW... they are more of an air dam) get replaced after every race weekend because they are so torn up because they are nothing more than a thin plastic. It is a disposable piece.

FYI 2, I am in the process of making that exact piece out of carbon and glass for that very reason.

FYI3, because it is not a splitter (it doesn't produce down force) ... it doesn't have to be stiff. All that thing does is try to minimize air under the car.

TonyG
Old 09-30-2012, 06:33 PM
james6speed
Pro

Here is my splitter ready to ship, can't wait to put it on. After a good claybar, 3M machine glaze, Meguiar's Gold, I never thought my car would look so good!

Last edited by james6speed; 08-22-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Who Produces this Front Lip Spoiler?