Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need help on sourcing autothority/ProM maf connector thingy.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on sourcing autothority/ProM maf connector thingy.

My car has a MAF that I think is maybe Autothority/Pro M. There is an electrical connector coming off the MAF that has three wires that are attached by a weak solder to this grey plastic piece that is inserted into it a connector that plugs into the stock wiring connector. The grey plastic piece has very little wire coming out of it that is soldered and the solder keeps breaking. Where would this plastic piece come from. I want to find one that has longer wiring coming out of it so I can have a more secure solder. I have been out of the 944 game for a few years and am just getting the car started up again. Is this plastic piece a part of the original stock AFM that I would have to remove from a stock AFM? Searched but couldn't find any info.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Can you post a picture?
Old 09-23-2012, 03:14 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Here are some pics. It looks like the piece is a hacked up connector from a stock AFM. It's the gray piece. The black piece is not part of the setup but is the connector I just took off my stock afm. You can see in the second picture how little there is to solder to. I had to jury rig the connection the other day in the parking lot of an autoparts store when I was checking the wires and the solder broke. I ran inside and bought some butt connectors that slid over the solder and heldon. A McGyver moment. Maybe I shouldn't worry about the gray piece but just use the black stock connector and solder the MAF wires to the tangs on the stock AFM connector.

Question... On one side of the stock connector there are two tangs in the same spot.. See in the last picture. Does it matter which one of those I solder to?
Attached Images     
Old 09-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Lots of folks (myself included) use an old AFM connector to connect up their MAF. That way you don't have to cut up the engine harness. In your case, it looks like that AFM connector came out of a car that had an engine fire... I'd toss that one and use the good one. Clip off that long copper tang to a more reasonable length. And, no, it doesn't matter which of those two tangs you solder onto. Just check with a multimeter after your done to make sure all the connections make it through to the spade connectors on the other side.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

I ended up soldering the connector I pulled from the stock AFM All is well. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Need help on sourcing autothority/ProM maf connector thingy.