Smog Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smog Numbers

Hey Guys.

I did a CA smog pre test today to see where were at after the rebuild.

I have taken a picture of the numbers and need your insight on them, what is my next move?

thanks

Kim

Old 09-05-2012, 09:42 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Looks to me like your cat was really cold or bad due to those dismal NO numbers. Have you ever had your injectors serviced because you are running rich through the entire test? My 951 used to be awful @ the 15 mph run. I replaced the O2 sensor and a new cat and passed as clean as a new car. Another thing to check for is the AFM door closing completely and not allowing too much air due to a weak return spring. It will throw off your AFR through the entire rpm range. Good luck, that puts you on the 'gross polluter' list and you will have to use a 'test only' shop next time.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:52 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I see (Not an official inspection) at the top of the #'s, so hopefully this was a pre-test and not in the system? ALWAYS ask for a pre-test and have them pull it if it doesn't look like it's going to pass (for those who don't).

Are you completely stock? If not what is your setup?
Old 09-06-2012, 03:12 AM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

New cat is always a consideration; if yours is old you could probably pass with a new one. However, you only failed at 15 mph, so there probably more going on than that.

Mine also has high emissions at 15 mph; it always has been, though my HC numbers are MUCH lower and pass at both speeds. My plan based on helpful recommendations here is a pretty thorough vacuum leak check and maybe a new O2 sensor even though mine is not that old. My car has been going through DEC replacement cats about every 3-4 years so I want to dig deeper.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:42 AM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

Cool.

It was a pre-test so shouldn't be in the system, I have the LR vacuum line kit at home already, An Interesting thing happened on the way home from the test center.

Suddenly after a run on the freeway the car won't idle and at anything under 2000 rpm its very rough, I pulled over at the gas station expecting to find a loose plug lead or something and it turned out that one of the large inserts pressed into the intake manifold (the middle one) had come out, I pushed it back in and it ran ok again, When I got home I cleaned it up and JB welded it back into place (not sure if this is the right fix for it but it seemed good at the time)

I wonder if that was a lot of the issue, The trouble is that to do a pre-test again is another $35 which i'm not totally against its just annoying.

I have a wideband afr gauge to fit so I wonder if that is a good indicator of if it will pass or not?!

thanks

Kim
Old 09-06-2012, 04:44 AM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

I also forgot to add that I have an adjustable fpr for it, will leaning it out for the test help?
Old 09-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

Originally Posted by mtnman82
I see (Not an official inspection) at the top of the #'s, so hopefully this was a pre-test and not in the system? ALWAYS ask for a pre-test and have them pull it if it doesn't look like it's going to pass (for those who don't).

Are you completely stock? If not what is your setup?

Sorry I forgot to answer, the car is stock accept a LR stage 1 head and some chips of unknown origin.

I really need to get my wideband fitted and my boost gauge since it shows nearly 2 bar right now which i know is bogus!

Kim
Old 09-06-2012, 03:41 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

pre tests still get sent to sacramento.. always ask for a manual mode test .. that info will not get sent.. looks like your cat is bad. have it tested at a smog test and repair station.. they can condem it within 15 minutes. I am also a CA smog tech and have been for 11 years.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

Oh really, thats annoying, does that get me registered as a gross polluter?

So they have a way to definitively check the cat

Whats the point of a pre test?

thanks

Kim
Old 09-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Jamesr6967
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same problem up here. My mechanic says it is probably the AFM (weak spring), I'm going to change the cat too if that doesn't work.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

I seem to remember the afm closing when I had it off the car, is there a way to clean it without damaging the sensor?

thanks

Kim
Old 09-06-2012, 05:35 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

you can clean it with some electric circuit spray, but after checking your numbers, i would test the cat , if the cat fails , change it.. from whats coming out the tailpipe, with the amount of unburned fuel and a rich mixture, your nox should be lower than your numbers show. is the cat original or a small aftermarket cat?? did the car have a stuck or leaking injector before the rebuild that would have compromised the cat? Aslo, have you or anyboday changed the co setting via the afm or clocked the wheel in the afm to a different location?
Old 09-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

No I don't think so but I haven't checked the injectors and wouldn't know how. It looks like a porsche cat but I don't know for sure.

Whats the legality of putting for example a Magnaflow 33006 universal california cat in?

thanks

Kim
Old 09-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

Sorry just realized it should be the pc-1 line with number 36006

thanks

Kim
Old 09-06-2012, 07:58 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at the mods in my sig... I recently passed with my best results to date by putting in the stock injectors/AFM/2.5 bar FPR and running stock software. I just drove it nice and easy down to the test station and back. The software (chip) you are running could be a big factor - have you passed with it before?

I agree with the cat suggestions/comments. I'm not sure what to tell you on the legality of the cat - I've heard some shops want the exact cat that came on the car and others will pass as long as it's on the approved CARB list. I've gone to the same shop for all 5 smogs tests I've had on this car and have had the Fabspeed exhaust + cat on the last 2 times. This last time they were really worried about the cat and didn't want to pass me simply because, and I quote 'it looks too new and shiney'. I pointed out that this was the exact same setup I had on 'the last couple times' they've passed me before, that the whole exhaust was 'shiney', and that I'd only put on a couple thousand miles in the 2 years since it had last been in there. Just saying that they're getting pretty **** with this stuff...

Quick Reply: Smog Numbers