Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Real cost of DIY 5.3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 12:27 PM
MG944
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Real cost of DIY 5.3 swap

Ok if I buy a conversion kit for my na and don't do any other upgrades (yes leaving the 5.3 stock also) what is the real cost of the conversion? What needs modified, in a nutshell. Assume I already have the engine. My car is an 87 na if that makes any difference.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:12 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think I saw Xschop threw a number out there for his 5.3L around $5500 IIRC, he is able to custom make a lot of his stuff though, so I don't know how much that factored into his price. Doing the work yourself, I would budget 6-7k. I haven't added up the cost of mine yet, nor likely will I, but it is the little stuff that nickles and dimes you to death. I plan to back up and running in the spring, so not something I am rushing on. Motor is in, and now it is hook up a little here and there each day.

Some of the bigger items I can think of:
Engine: $500-1000. I picked up my L33 aluminum block for $600 but it took some searching. I think most iron block 5.3's can be had in the $500 range.
TPC conversion kit and headers: 2800 (maybe Xschop can make you a kit a little more custom geared toward a 5.3L)
Wiring harness, ecu, $600.
Clutch: 300-600 depending on what you buy new vs used flywheel, etc
Brake setup: $300-500 hydroboost or manual dual's
F body accessories (alternator, ac, harmonic balancer, PS pump, etc) I would budget $500 minimum for, again depending on what you find used vs new. I know Xschop custom made stuff so he could reuse the truck accessories, but for bolt on stuff you will need to go fbody.
Fuel filter setup: 150-250
Intake: LS1 for cheap or $350 for an LS6 intake.
Throttle body: $100
Then you have radiator to take into consideration, aftermarket or new oem
Exhaust? Haven't gotten that far yet

Then there are the gazillion small items that add up: Throttle cable, hoses, belts, yada yada yada.

I am also in Kansas City if you want to ever see mine. Todd Wayman did an LS1 here in town as well over the winter and has been pounding it on the track for the season. Not sure what his final costs were for the conversion, though I know he bought a complete LS1 setup out of a camaro SS which helped not having to get clutch/accessories/intake/throttle body. etc

Quick Reply: Real cost of DIY 5.3 swap