Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Best aftermarket forged rods for supercharged s2

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 07:09 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best aftermarket forged rods for supercharged s2

I'm going to upgrade my connecting rods to forged rods on my supercharged S2 - in particular Pauter rods.

LR amongst other sells these but they are quite expensive.

I found a place called Atomic Speedware who have them for $892. Anyone dealt with them or know where I can get them this cheap or less?

A price < $1000 is important to me, as above $1000 Australian customs charges 10% tax plus duty.

http://www.atomicspeedware.com/pauterrodsfor904.aspx

Thanks

Last edited by Eric_Oz_S2; 08-31-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:12 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're only worried about the customs tax. Just get the invoice to be written as $990.00 or $999.00 on the package and get them to email you the proper invoice.

That's what I did for my turbo.

Goodluck!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:53 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Yep, but it's good to have the bonus of not having to actually pay more than $1000 too!!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:24 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Eric...any particular reason for only sticking to the one brand? I have nothing bad to say about Pauter, just wonder if you can get something of equal or similar quality elsewhere.

I was browsing through some old saved sites and came across this site out of Melbourne. I spoke to him briefly and he seemed to be pretty convincing. Might be worth contacting him yourself. Paulyy, have you heard of these guys?

http://www.pureperformancemotorsport.com/
Old 08-30-2012, 08:49 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Those rods look good and 'cheap' at $800, but seem very light at 610g and they also don't seem to be forged. Not sure these are similar quality to Pauter? The forged I beam ones (Ultimate) seem to be $1,200.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:59 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pauter was always the to of the line rods that we sold for our imports many years ago. With all the crazy set ups and the horrible tuning some of these guys came in with. Those never broke (even tough they probably should have judging by the poor combinations) while others did.
I give the Pauter Rod 2 thumbs up.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
Yep, but it's good to have the bonus of not having to actually pay more than $1000 too!!
totally agree with you there! but just a suggestion

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Eric...any particular reason for only sticking to the one brand? I have nothing bad to say about Pauter, just wonder if you can get something of equal or similar quality elsewhere.

I was browsing through some old saved sites and came across this site out of Melbourne. I spoke to him briefly and he seemed to be pretty convincing. Might be worth contacting him yourself. Paulyy, have you heard of these guys?

I do go down there to that side of town but never actually heard of that company.
There's that many performance shops in melbourne, it's like they're competing with 7/11...
These new guys opened up across from my factories and now park all over the street which is bad because we have trouble getting trucks in out driveway.
And all the seem to do is rev their engines on their cars for an hour with the bonnet open, and drive it up and down the street. then they'll take their VL turbo out and drive up and back and park it
Old 08-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Patrick - what rods do you run?
Old 08-30-2012, 04:41 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Stock turbo rods in the 2.5 and Arrow in the 3L. I think I assumed those rods in that link were forged...at those prices, but perhaps not? As I said, nothing against Pauter and you've heard Bruce extol their virtues so for similar money go with the ones we know.
Are you intending on changing out pistons to lower c/r too? You still using stock pistons and lower boost?
Old 08-30-2012, 06:21 PM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Stock turbo rods in the 2.5 and Arrow in the 3L. I think I assumed those rods in that link were forged...at those prices, but perhaps not? As I said, nothing against Pauter and you've heard Bruce extol their virtues so for similar money go with the ones we know.
Are you intending on changing out pistons to lower c/r too? You still using stock pistons and lower boost?
Not planning on changing the pistons yet. The SC is near it's limit so I would only loose power unless I went for a bigger head unit. The S2 pistons are forged I think (unlike the rods), so they should be OK at 7psi boost. I'm more worried about the rods given I think they are the same as the early 968 rods. I will be ceramic coating the piston crowns though.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:17 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Eric,
Just for your reference S2 pistons, just like the 968 pistons are not forged, just cast. Considering you are opening it up now would be the time to put in some forged pistons. We have had great success with Wössner pistons as well as Wössner connecting rods and Arrow connecting rods. both H beam. Any particular reason you are thinking of I beam?
Sean
Old 08-30-2012, 07:59 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I beam rods are one better.

<sings the alphabet song>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_to_eleven
Old 08-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JET951
Hi Eric,
Just for your reference S2 pistons, just like the 968 pistons are not forged, just cast. Considering you are opening it up now would be the time to put in some forged pistons. We have had great success with Wössner pistons as well as Wössner connecting rods and Arrow connecting rods. both H beam. Any particular reason you are thinking of I beam?
Sean
I was never 100% sure on the forged piston thing, although I have copies of road tests, books and Porsche literature that states they are forged in the S2 engine.

Is it possible to tell if they are forged by inspecting them? Can amyone confirm that they are definitely cast? Perhaps they changed early in the production run from forged to cats?
Old 08-30-2012, 11:46 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Eric,
We are fairly certain there are no cats inside your engine.

With the information we have it leads us to say the S2 pistons are not forged. you can tell though, cast pistons will have cast stamped numbers on the underside of the piston, this includes words, stars & casting marks. We have a set of S2 pistons here which have the words Mahle and some numbers cast into the piston. The forged pistons (take for example the 951 pistons) have no marks or casting stamps on the underside of the piston.

All the Porsche workshop manuals we have, have no information that the S2 pistons are cast. Usually Porsche specify if the piston is forged.

Now this is where it gets interesting , Porsche installed forged con rods & pistons in the 951 as standard , this is common practice with Porsche last century because the 911 turbo ( 3.0, 3.3 & 3.6 ) had forged pistons , same goes for the turbo charged 931( 924turbo) , GT & GTS ( variants of the 931), so we can see that turbo charged Porsche's had forged pistons

Then in the 928 range , Porsche installed forged con-rods on the 1987 year type only , and then for only part of that year.

The reason why I mentioned all that is one can see its a bit confusing & articles written( say about a 944S2) are often written with incomplete or information relating to the turbo version & so on

Bruce Buchanan
--------------------
Old 08-31-2012, 07:56 AM
944meister
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://wossneronline.com/forged_pist...roducts_id=315 your welcome!

Quick Reply: Best aftermarket forged rods for supercharged s2