Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch fork question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 02:29 AM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch fork question

My clutch pedel went to the floor so i took off the starter and the clutch slave cylinder. I've replaced a slave cylinder before to fix this problem on another car. Question is, how much should the clutch fork move by hand inside the housing once you have the slave out? Mine rotates or travels freely without any resistance. Is this normal? Or is this a sign off a broken fork? The front of the slave did look like it was leaking.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Turbo17
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gmsracing
My clutch pedel went to the floor so i took off the starter and the clutch slave cylinder. I've replaced a slave cylinder before to fix this problem on another car. Question is, how much should the clutch fork move by hand inside the housing once you have the slave out? Mine rotates or travels freely without any resistance. Is this normal? Or is this a sign off a broken fork? The front of the slave did look like it was leaking.
Do the clutch wear check. See here:
If the wear check distance is between 18 and 34 mm (while holding the accessible slave cylinder end of the fork towards the front of the car) the fork is OK. If it's wildly off that, the fork could be broken. Usually, only one side of the fork breaks and you get clutch drag. You'd need to break both arms for the fork to move freely. The fork will move some with the slave off, but I forget how much.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:46 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ordered a clutch slave today...
Old 08-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Clutch forks to break... I've seen it a few times.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:38 PM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a couple of great condition clutch forks down the road in Wikiup if you need one.

Quick Reply: Clutch fork question