Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch Help!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 01:18 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch Help!!!!!!

R Hallway through a clutch job on an 86, exhaust and intake about to go on, but the petal feels softer than it should. I installed a Scott Gomes PP and flywheel that I had on my other car for about 2k miles, the petal pressure I remembered was very stiff, this feels stock. If the release bearing retaining clip popped off, is there any way to diagnose this with everything in and the car not running yet? And would it feel like this if it did pop off?
Old 08-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remove the clutch slave cyl and see if the clutch fork has a lot of play in it. My bet is that you have broken the clutch fork.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:10 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

What is alot of play? I can see it through the access hole, looks like its operating fine.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clutch should feel the same with the car running as it will just sitting there. If it feels soft then I would think that it would be one of two things.

Your clutch fork is braking/broke. If you remove the slave cylinder, you will see very clearly how much play will be in the fork. If it has, your slave will not return on its own and will loose all clutch pressure. If yours is not doing this then it will not be the problem.

Second thing it could be would be air in the line. This will make it feel squishy and soft. Bleed the system.

I really do not think that it would be the bearing clip. If this fell out, your bearing would pull out of the pressure plate. Your clutch would have no pressure to return.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:01 AM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If the clip comes off the release bearing, the first time you push the pedal it just goes to the floor and stays there, nothing to push it back up. Hook your foot under it and it comes up, then it won't go down at all.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

My Gomes PP felt somewhat stiffer than stock, but not by much. I'm now running a KEP1, and it is much stiffer than Gome's PP. Unless I went back and forth between a stock clutch and Gome's, I'm not sure I could tell which was which. If the throw-out bearing popped out of the PP you'd know it. Try the gear shifter -- does it slide in and out of gear easier when your clutch pedal is down?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:52 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Last couple times I worked on my clutch, I installed the torque tube then tested that I it would rotate freely with the clutch pedal depressed, and would not when released.

Nice to figure out if it is working right before getting everything back in :O
Old 08-19-2012, 08:08 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys, I think its working fine. When I get the intake on and crossover jn the mail, well see....

Quick Reply: Clutch Help!!!!!!