Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine starts, then dies (giving a try here)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 04:38 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine starts, then dies (giving a try here)

Hey 944 turbo guys,

I'm also posting here, trying to get more views and help finding a problem.

So I decided to start a new post on my problem, with a new title.

The old thread I did (http://www.benms.com/944nostart.html) didn't get a lot of hit, and I really hope getting help solving this problem.

Now the problem is this:

944 turbo, 86, engine starts fine, first shot, let it warm up, no problem.

Go for a ride, as soon as a start accelerating, the engine dies with a big backfire.

Then I need to wait a good 2 hours before it will start up again.

So far:
- Changed the coil
- Changed the distributor
- Changed all spark plugs and wires
- Checked the rotor, it was fine and tight, the screw still in position (Changed it for precaution 3 months ago)
- Checked all vacuum hoses and intake hoses, all nice and tight
- This all the tests from http://www.benms.com/944nostart.html
- Getting sparks
- Fuel pressure is good and also as the fuel pump (also did the jumping the dme relay, everything worked)
- Checked the voltage at relay terminals, all good (12v)
- The TPS is fine
etc... etc...

I huge thing I notice is that when I'm able to start the car, the dash is reading 1.1 to 1.2 bar... AT IDLE? But my psi gauge is fine, reading -18psi???

Can someone help me on this... please!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:53 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

i would also check your speed reference sensors and harness located near the back of the engine by the firewall. make sure the connectors are not frayed or damaged. Mine would develop this hot start issue. After running for a while, then turn engine off for a bit (like putting gas) then engine would not turn over. I need to jiggly my reference sensors or re-position the connectors a bit then the engine will start. Im in the process of replacing my whole engine harness so im using the " jiggle the sensors" technique for now.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:35 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shortyboy
i would also check your speed reference sensors and harness located near the back of the engine by the firewall. make sure the connectors are not frayed or damaged. Mine would develop this hot start issue. After running for a while, then turn engine off for a bit (like putting gas) then engine would not turn over. I need to jiggly my reference sensors or re-position the connectors a bit then the engine will start. Im in the process of replacing my whole engine harness so im using the " jiggle the sensors" technique for now.
thanks! but I've already tried. Disconnected them, cleaning them, reconnecting them etc...

My tach is bouncing when I try to start the car, I've read that it's a sign that those sensors are fine...... is it true?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What else can you say about the engine? Does it rev fine when just sitting there? Do you get any boost when accelerating before it shuts off?

Are you running the stock air meter? That, or is your MAF reading properly, and is it wired right? It could be that a loose connection there jiggles enough when moving to stop the MAF/AFM from reading, thus causing the car to immediately shut off, followed by a backfire due to unmetered air running through the engine for a few revs.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:00 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

So I finally found the problem.
ECU connection, full of wet gunk.
Used a air compressor to remove all the gunk, replugged it, and the car started one shot, broom!
I don't understand why I complicate my life like this sometimes.... at least I'm glad I found it.

Last edited by eric951turbo; 09-03-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:04 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eric951turbo
So I finally found the problem.
ECU connection, full of wet gunk.
Used a air compressor to remove all the gunk, replugged it, and the car started one shot, broom!
I don't understand why I complicate my life like this sometimes.... at least I'm glad I found it.
WOW, that is dirty! Do you have any electrical contact cleaner? I would be tempted to clean that out really well with an old toothbrush. Anyway, I'm glad you found the problem!

Edit: is that grease? It's possible that someone thought a lot of dielectric grease would help in there...
Old 08-21-2012, 08:20 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

I don't know what it was, but sure looked like gunky. I was trying to fix the car at the body shop (just got my fender fixed ) and barely made it there last week. Actually, I had to call my wife with the 4runner to tow me there.

They called me to say it was ready today , and got prepared before going there.

I had in mind:
-bypassing the alarm
-switch the computers wit JasonLP computers (who was kind enough to lend them to me)

Tried the alarm, nothing

The disconnected the klr, then disconnted the ecu, and there it was

Full gunk

A guy at the body shop came with is air hose, I shot the gunk out, reconnected, and vroooom

What a great feeling
Old 08-21-2012, 08:43 PM
White_951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
WOW, that is dirty! Do you have any electrical contact cleaner? I would be tempted to clean that out really well with an old toothbrush. Anyway, I'm glad you found the problem!

Edit: is that grease? It's possible that someone thought a lot of dielectric grease would help in there...
Great to hear happy endings...but I think Charlie nailed it...looks like Di-electric to me also....

Quick Reply: Engine starts, then dies (giving a try here)