Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

So now....let's talk intercoolers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So now....let's talk intercoolers.

My EGTs were 1620-1630 under high boost. AITs were 72-75 degrees C. This was AFTER I installed an intercooler spray system. Obviously I need more intercooler. I got this pictures from Lindseys web site and think it's a sexy solution. Does anybody know who owns this car and how I can contact them? Also, need a big a**ed intercooler(s). Who makes the best in custom sizes?
We're starting the renos on the car next month. I have th Kokeln / Lindsey GTR bumper coming, new AIR rear quarters so I can get rid of some more weight and plan on a partial tube frame as per the picture to accomodate the new intercooler set up. Comments? Suggestions?
Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2012, 11:47 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Call Bell intercoolers. They make custom sized IC's. They are not cheap but, IMHO, they are real good cores. They will also help you size the core to your application.
You tell them the size you can fit and they will spec it out for you. You will also need to tell them where you want them and what size IC tube connections you want. I would suggest Wiggins clamps on the inlet and outlet.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:52 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When does the stock intercooler become a restriction or not enough to cool down the boosted air?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:16 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
When does the stock intercooler become a restriction or not enough to cool down the boosted air?
My understanding is when your near the 400's whether crank or whp.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:21 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Depends on usage and engine output. If you track it, drag it or Sunday drive it, it will vary. Stock is pretty good until you start pushing it.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:14 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is an example of a bell core like Dave was talking about. This has custom end tanks and piping, though. 700hp capable. Unfortunately, I don't have any good pictures of it, this is the best I have.
Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2012, 01:24 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

Lanny, if you are up in Edmonton anytime you can check out my SFR front mount intercooler. There are some things I would change about it, but at least you could see one in vivo. The big advantage of the SFR is that it doesn't require cutting the structural members of the car, cons: it is a VERY tight fit and the install is a royal PITA.

In case you haven't put a name to my face, I'm the guy who borrowed your triple square at Indy and also sold you your rod bearings.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:48 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

If you ever measure the core of the SFR and compare to ANY core online, it apears to dimensionally support about the same HP as Stock and the ducting is far superior on the OEM unit.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:24 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Lanny the EGT's you are currently seeing is what i am currently seeing as well. only under high pressure. I have a stock intercooler. OEM intercooler ducting. 80+ deg heat with lots of humidity. Where do you have your EGT prob ? Mine is located were the stock port used be for testing at the crossover.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Lanny Curlett
AITs were 72-75 degrees C.
For which compressor efficiency and which air temp through the air filter?
Old 08-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

Thanks for both the input and the rod bearings! And now I have the face to go with the name. I think I'm going to have to go full court press and go custom as I plan on upping the boost next year once we've gone through the engine.

Originally Posted by JustinL
Lanny, if you are up in Edmonton anytime you can check out my SFR front mount intercooler. There are some things I would change about it, but at least you could see one in vivo. The big advantage of the SFR is that it doesn't require cutting the structural members of the car, cons: it is a VERY tight fit and the install is a royal PITA.

In case you haven't put a name to my face, I'm the guy who borrowed your triple square at Indy and also sold you your rod bearings.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

I don't understand the compressor efficiency question. The ambient was about 23 degrees Celsius IIRC.
Originally Posted by Thom
For which compressor efficiency and which air temp through the air filter?
Old 08-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

As is mine. I have the Lindsey Stage 2 I/C but not getting the job done.

Originally Posted by reno808
Lanny the EGT's you are currently seeing is what i am currently seeing as well. only under high pressure. I have a stock intercooler. OEM intercooler ducting. 80+ deg heat with lots of humidity. Where do you have your EGT prob ? Mine is located were the stock port used be for testing at the crossover.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

What turbo are you running?

If it's working at boost pressures where it's not as efficient as it could be then it's pushing air that's already too hot for the IC to cool down.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

I hate to confess my ignorance as to specs but I bought the Turbo on Ebay from a guy in NY. It is the turbo that came off the engine with the carbon fibre intake on John Milledges website. This fellow has that engine and went with a different turbo. The boys at Alpine Autowerks in Calgary said it was top drawer without elaborating but certainly know more than I do. Matt, any comments or thoughts?

Quick Reply: So now....let's talk intercoolers.