Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Suspension/Ride Height Question (stock setup)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 06:39 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Suspension/Ride Height Question (stock setup)

So I finally measured the ride height of my 89 951 according to the specs in the shop manual. Subject to confirmation in better light, it's about 27 mm lower than spec in the front, 29 mm lower than spec in the rear, with another 9.5 mm on the driver's side.

This is a stock car, 180+ k miles, probably with original suspension other than the front arms. I am not aware of any adjustments that have been made.

My question is, is the lower height due to fatigue in the springs and torsion bar? Or would replacing the shocks also raise the height of the car?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:43 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ride height is controlled by the springs and torsion bars, changing the shocks will do nothing to affect your missing 27mm of height.

Personally, if the shocks are ok, I'd leave the height alone.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:45 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lee101315
The ride height is controlled by the springs and torsion bars, changing the shocks will do nothing to affect your missing 27mm of height.

Personally, if the shocks are ok, I'd leave the height alone.
If these are the original shocks they are probably not OK.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:45 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not that hard to see if the shocks are bad. You go to each corner of the car, push down on it with your knee with all of your weight, and it should only bounce 1 and a half times.

You can also visually check them if there is oil leaking out of the struts. You wont see drops of oil, but the shaft and surroundings will be coated in oil and dirty.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:32 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lee101315
Its not that hard to see if the shocks are bad. You go to each corner of the car, push down on it with your knee with all of your weight, and it should only bounce 1 and a half times.

You can also visually check them if there is oil leaking out of the struts. You wont see drops of oil, but the shaft and surroundings will be coated in oil and dirty.

I know. It is very likely these are the original shocks, as I have 100,000 miles of records. They don't last forever, and I replaced the shocks on my '86 at about this point in its life.

My question really was whether others have seen the ride height drop purely as a result of age (fatigue of the springs). If so, and you really care about the height, I guess you have to replace the springs and/or torsion bar (or get coilovers). I don't imagine it is very good to have the rear lower than the front.

Quick Reply: Suspension/Ride Height Question (stock setup)