Excessive oil consumption - track only, street fine

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Rannem
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lethal951
I would agree with u on that one.... Turbo is blowing oil into intake
Except i suspect the hotside of the turbo to be the problem.. The pipes and the intercooler doesn't have more oil in them than the normal "oil coating"
Old 12-09-2012, 04:00 PM
944hal
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use between 1/4 and 1/2 quart per 20 min session. I haven't really check to see if some tracks are higher oil consumption tracks, longer at higher RPM. I have some records so I'll check. Turbo is new and was professionally rebuilt. I also have a catch can. There is absolutely no leaks. There is oil in the intercooler hoses but nothing is pooling in the turbo housing. I haven't used mine on the street is years so I can't tell you what normal street use would be. My oil consumption did go up when the rear seals on the old turbo started leaking.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:35 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

No real updates towards a solution though I did get an opportunity to spend the day at the track were I didn't have to share the car with my wife... And noticed consumption was quite a bit less. Going back over some of my wife's GoPro footage it seems her instructors had her put it in one gear and leave it there. Which meant as she ran out of gear, she would just hang there in the higher revs with low throttle. So I think that's where the bulk of the oil was going. With just me driving I used just over 1/2 qt in a day.

I also found my leak... One of the oil cooler fittings.

I haven't installed the catch can yet. Have some maintenance to do this winter so am planning to install it then.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 16 Posts

Any updates on this? I wanted to add my experience and was looking for insight.

I have a stock block with 130k miles, stock turbo, engine has been resealed and all hoses, gaskets, etc replaced. Engine is not rebuilt. So I have:
- No oil leaks
- No oil in J boot and no oil in hot pipe meaning it's not coming from the compressor or blowby
- Oil/ash deposits on the spark plugs
- Strong compression (145 on all cylinders) and less than 2% leakdown in all cylinders
- Oil consumption of 1qt for around 5-600 miles of Pennzoil 15w40 non synthetic
- No smoke at startup, no smoke in rear view under vacuum or high RPM alone.
- Boost in the 12-14psi range.
- Smoke under boosted acceleration - blue smoke and strong smell.

One time when I drove the car especially hard I found some oil on top of the oil cap ... really not sure how that got there.

I don't want to tear into the motor if it's not needed so any insight here?

Last edited by Lex_GTX; 02-22-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:17 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

For my specific case, at this point I believe it had to do with driver and not the car itself. Long periods of high vacuum just sucked up oil.

I've got the car apart now and haven't found anything wrong.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 16 Posts

Had someone else driving the car in front of me tonight and it does smoke blue under boost. Not under engine braking or under high rpm and no boost. However under boost it smokes a good amount. Is that the turbo?

Quick Reply: Excessive oil consumption - track only, street fine