87 Turbo, Front Reseal

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Slow Project 951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Turbo, Front Reseal

Hello All,
My project has begun ! I have gotten the all off to the seals. I Removed the front main seal and replaced it, however I am not sure I have it completely installed. I am also unclear that the oil pump drive gear is completely engaged. I failed to measure from the end of the crank prior to removal. Does anyone have a measurement from the seal to the end of the crank ? Or can anyone say how far the seal should be recessed from the front of the housing ? Most likely I have it placed correctly but I would like a little piece of mind.
The balance shaft seals have not been removed as of yet. Any suggestions on removal and replacement procedure? Thanks in advance, Will post picks as soon as I recover my camera.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:26 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you buy new metal sleeves for the balance shafts. They will usually leak if you do not replace them. They get grooves in them over time. I wish I could remember how the front crank seal sat.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Slow Project 951
Rennlist Member

Thanks Chris, I believe I have the seals back together with all being new. Hopefully It will not leak !
Old 07-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Slow Project 951
Rennlist Member

Ok, placed the balance belt seals and shafts the day before yesterday. Looking closely today I have some fear. I am able to rotate the top balance shaft with little effort at all and the sleeve stays stationary. If I attempt to move the sleeve on the top shaft it will rotate with little effort as well. The top shaft also is able to move front and back inline with the car with the sleeve not moving in those directions.
My fear is that the lower balance shaft rotates left and right with a little more effort then it takes to rotate the top shaft but the sleeve moves with it. The shaft will not move independent of the sleeve. The shaft on the lower balance shaft also moves fore and aft with the sleeve not independent of it. I received three sleeves , two appeared to be identical and were used on the balance shafts. The seals I used were slightly different in size and were placed after comparing them to the seals that came out. What Am I Missing ? Did I place them incorrectly ? How is the shaft supposed to move with the balance shaft ?
I am currently waiting on new belt covers to arrive and am at a stopping point until then. Should I disassemble and retry ? Thoughts, questions, incite ?
Forgive my novice fear and mistakes and help me know the way. Thanks , John
Old 07-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Slow Project 951
Rennlist Member

I miss spoke, Replaced the front sleeves and seals not the shafts. Are the sleeves on both balance shafts to be the same size ? Do I have one to large or small. Should the sleeves move with the shaft or should the shaft spin within the sleeves?
Old 07-29-2012, 06:41 PM
john durdin
Advanced

Once you torgue the gears the will rotate with the shafts . John

Quick Reply: 87 Turbo, Front Reseal