Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AC compressor squealing

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 01:35 AM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default AC compressor squealing

Since I have gotten this car started I have noticed that when the AC is on I am getting an occasional squeal from the engine. I'm assuming it's the AC compressor because when I turn the AC off the squeal goes away

The AC is cooling well but I did notice some dye on the bottom of the compressor. I would like to know if this will hurt the engine if it's putting a strain on it and if there is a way to check to see how easy it should turn.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:07 AM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This IS NOT an engine noise.

Did you check your belts and alignment? If all looks OK, buy some belt lube spray. Messy, if you go overboard, but we used this stuff on my supercharger belts with success.

These 951 motors leak. They are old, and anything that lubes your motor, coolant, etc. will make any rubber to metal make a squealing sound in terms of V belts running as hard as your RPM. Squealing noise usually means heat, therefore wear, then done. Try spraying "belt dressing". Use little at first, and see if your issue goes away.

This is a bandaid towards a cure.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:17 AM
jlturpin
Burning Brakes

May try tightening belt before you go to belt dressing.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:34 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DrZ1
Since I have gotten this car started I have noticed that when the AC is on I am getting an occasional squeal from the engine. I'm assuming it's the AC compressor because when I turn the AC off the squeal goes away

The AC is cooling well but I did notice some dye on the bottom of the compressor. I would like to know if this will hurt the engine if it's putting a strain on it and if there is a way to check to see how easy it should turn.
Get the car up on some drive up ramps or a lift. Check the condition of the belt (look for cracks, glazing). Replace if worn. Tighten up a bit if loose.

Sounds like you do have a 'leak' somewhere if that is refrigerant dye. If you are seeing dye then you also have refrigerant oil present as the dye is carried by the oil. If the oil gets between the front side of the clutch pulley and the outer clutch hub the clutch will slip and squeal. Get some water based cleaner, alike Fantastic and thoroughly spray down the clutch, wash with water and dry. Then check to see if the squeal is still present. At some point you will have to address the refrigerant leak. At the compressor, the common leak points are compressor nose seal, case o-rings and possibly the high side hose (compressor to condenser).

Another cause of clutch slippage or squeal is an overcharged system. To check the state of the charge you would have an ac tech check the pressures.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:42 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

last time that happened with mine there was an issue with the adjuster/turnbuckle therfore the belt was too loose.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be hopeing belt too, darn thing should be TIGHT, like 80 pounds of tension/quarter inch of deflection at the longest span.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:38 AM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I will run through the list this weekend. I think the oil is the most probable culprit, since there was a loose connection on one of the hoses that leaked fluid.

I will clean and see if better, if still there I will tighten. Also I will see if the dye comes back.

Steve
Old 07-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out two compressor bolts are tighten properly. It's quite common they get loose; belt start to whine occasionally. Eventually bolts will snap and you have big problems

Quick Reply: AC compressor squealing