Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Can you help me to identify this turbo ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 12:16 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fifai
something like that ?

no that's a cylinder compression tester.

just do a search on back pressure gauges
Old 07-26-2012, 05:44 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
In regards to ratios, I havnt seen a turbo that can spool reasonably for a street car not have higher Bp than map.

The only cars I've seen with anything close to a 1:1 are designed to make power high in the rpms and are very laggy otherwise.
Makes complete sense - the boring, universal law of reciprocity, as in impossible to get a stubborn donkey to move along without kicking it in the back.

Originally Posted by blown 944
I had the same thing with larger ts pipes. The back pressure was through the roof. It was foot to a point then took off...
Given that the turbine inlet area will always be smaller than the total area of all exhaust ports on the head, I could understand odd back pressure readings if the area of each scroll of a TS set up doesn't follow the same profile/rule of area reduction as designed for the stock cross pipe.
I ignore how you and Rod's set ups were dimensioned, but it sounds like you both increased scroll area while retaining the same turbine?
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2012, 07:08 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My large crossover pipes were the same size as the headers, there is no expansion area like on the stock set up.Even the large pipes drove a lot better than stock.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:29 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Rod, when you say "expansion" do you mean the part of the crosspipe just after the mid point, which I circled in red?

I always thought this was just an additional skin purposed to improve thermal isolation?
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2012, 08:48 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I meant the area where the wastegate comes out, I am sure they did it like that for reason, but I have always thought that is a strange merge.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Rod, when you say "expansion" do you mean the part of the crosspipe just after the mid point, which I circled in red?

I always thought this was just an additional skin purposed to improve thermal isolation?
That is a skin/shield

Quick Reply: Can you help me to identify this turbo ?