Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Blue smoke

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:33 AM
williamr91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blue smoke

okay guy's I've done some searching, and maybe I'm not coming up with the right search criteria. Yesterday I noticed if the car idles, either in 1st gear or neutral for a while blue smoke comes out. It only happens at idle and is in consistent. It did it twice at stop lights, and once in a drive through. Any ideas? I'm at a loss. I'm thinking the oil isn't being circulated and just is being burnt off at idle? Or since the air intake isn't sucking in air it is burning? All my fluids are at safe levels and other than the engine temp gauge on the left, not oil gauge, being a touch over the middle at points (over 100 degrees outside) it seems like it is running okay. Would 110 race gas then going back to the 93 crap gas have something to do with it? The tune is Rouge and is switchable.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Oil smoke at idle can be coming from the turbo itself if it is getting too much oil or there are any issues preventing the oil from draining well. What turbo do you have and have you changed it recently or done anything new to it?
Old 07-08-2012, 12:59 PM
williamr91
Pro

It is actually a car from a member here. It has a fully re-built motor with a k27/8 and Tial wg, I believe 46 mm and 3inch Fabspeed exhaust.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:18 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aww fully rebuilt, OK my first thought was worn valve guides but if it's rebuilt that takes you back to the turbo being the source. Maybe a oil catch can could fix it?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:36 PM
ZW 944
Racer

My turbo would smoke some oil (blue) on cold starts sometimes, only during idling before the engine/turbo warmed up. My turbo was the stock k26/6.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:28 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

You might have a valve guide/seal issue. My turbo was rebuilt and then I noticed my car smoking. So I actually had my top end redone and I haven't had any issues since.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 PM
williamr91
Pro

The engine in question. I'm going to pic ***** a bit hope you guys don't mind.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Fresh coat of wax... waiting to be buffed
Nice and soapy
Old 07-08-2012, 10:52 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

My $0.02. The air intake from the throttle body to the air cooler looks to be fairly damaged. You also need to clean up the wiring by the coil before it becomes an issue.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

At what rpm does it idle? If it idles faster than factory (840 +/- 40), it can contribute toward oil smoke from the turbo. Sometimes the fix can be as easy as turning down the idle speed -- worth trying before installing an oil restrictor, catch can, etc. anyway...

As for valve seals, that's always a possibility, though if it doesn't smoke first thing in the morning for a bit, or when engine breaking, or shifing gears, etc., then I'd still think it's coming from the turbo.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:16 AM
williamr91
Pro

rlm328 this is the kind of info I need thank you. However what about it looks damaged, I'd say the cone if anything, but I'm new to these cars and am not the best mechancially. Agreed with the wiring it doesn't seem too great lol.
Tom it idles pretty high, about 1k but like you said could be the idle speed. I do notice when first started it idles very high 1.5 or 2k sometimes for about 20 seconds then drops I read about it, and think it is just an earlier MAF system I have and not a TPS issue. The smoke is only after a few seconds, well 15 or 20 seconds of idleing after being driven. No issues right at start up. That is what makes me think it is something no super major like the seals or something.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:34 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
At what rpm does it idle? If it idles faster than factory (840 +/- 40), it can contribute toward oil smoke from the turbo. Sometimes the fix can be as easy as turning down the idle speed -- worth trying before installing an oil restrictor, catch can, etc. anyway...

As for valve seals, that's always a possibility, though if it doesn't smoke first thing in the morning for a bit, or when engine breaking, or shifing gears, etc., then I'd still think it's coming from the turbo.
If it is noticeably burning oil, then the idle speed is not the problem... Valve seals, turbo seals are the two most likely culprits.

William, shoot me an email and we will get you updated to the new software.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:42 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
If it is noticeably burning oil, then the idle speed is not the problem...
Probably a long shot, just thought worth a try. Many moons ago in the Huntley turbo days, I saw at least one 951 that would puff occassional oil smoke when the idle was high but not when the idle was turned down. The lower idle (and oil pressure) was indeed probably nursing an otherwise over-oiled turbo or iffy seals.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:40 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schip43
Aww fully rebuilt, OK my first thought was worn valve guides but if it's rebuilt that takes you back to the turbo being the source. Maybe a oil catch can could fix it?
When i replaced the cylinder head gasket, i had the head clean cut (for peace of mind), new valve guides installed, valve seats were cut along with a new set of stock valve guides and seals (the black ones).

I had some slight blue smoke from the exhaust for a few days. After some researching, i came to the conclusion that i installed the valve steam seals incorrectly.

So, off goes the cylinder head again, and i found 2-3 seals loose. So i ordered those Teflon seals from Paragon, double checked to make sure everything was snug, and the problem was solved.

May not be related, but just throwing that out there.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:05 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
When i replaced the cylinder head gasket, i had the head clean cut (for peace of mind), new valve guides installed, valve seats were cut along with a new set of stock valve guides and seals (the black ones).

I had some slight blue smoke from the exhaust for a few days. After some researching, i came to the conclusion that i installed the valve steam seals incorrectly.

So, off goes the cylinder head again, and i found 2-3 seals loose. So i ordered those Teflon seals from Paragon, double checked to make sure everything was snug, and the problem was solved.

May not be related, but just throwing that out there.
Damn dude where you been? haven't seen you in like a year
Old 07-09-2012, 12:20 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

that car polished pipes, intake and cam tower looks familiar who's car was this?

Quick Reply: Blue smoke