Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Interesting Dyno Day

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 12:54 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Too true, big numbers do certainly sell. 355 uncorrected is a great number For a Stage 2 turbo and stock intercooler. - And - to be clear, I'm not doubting it. It's also nice to see the number at the same altitude as Bandimere. - 5010ft. So, Doing a calculation on 355 whp on a 3000lb car should get you right around 113-115mph tonight. It will be nice to see what it actually Traps in MPH since this is a proven horsepower level at the exact altitude as the track.
Car and me were 3305lbs on the scale at the track.

I was trying to tune and run.

Trap speed was 110mph. To put that in perspective, a ZR1 vette did 115mph. I have to look at the videos I took to see what other cars were doing. I did remember an STi running 97mph. A turbo 240SX with a big FMIC ran 95ish right next to me.

The supercharged vettes (after market..built) were 110 to 120mph
Old 06-21-2012, 12:58 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Boost above which atmospheric pressure Yours or mine? But yes, true, and I understands mafs quite well. So many read differently at different voltages, that it is impossible extrapolate any information from voltage and just the word MAF.. and I don't remember you mentioning it in your first post, so I apologize for missing earlier information given. Also, I read 19.9 psi in the ZT-2 chart. Was that just a quick spike or should we just call it 20psi? It looked like an insanely flat line.
19 above 14.7 (reference voltage for the MAP) That 19.9 is nothing. There is nothing being logged on that channel. That requires a Zeitronix boost sensor which I dont have. I am reading the Vitesse MAP sensor on user 2. You need to look at user input 2 that is just a voltage. Then I reference to the lookup chart to that MAP voltage (I got stupid and didn't put the correction table into the zeitronix when I bought a new laptop..it will make the output in psi)
Old 06-21-2012, 01:01 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by DanaT
Approximately, yes.
But, you said that your 19.9 psi was already calculated in using sea level atmospheric as a base pressure, therefore, it would be exactly the same pressure as someone seeing 19.9 psi on their gauge who is at or close to sea level.

ergo. Boost would not need to be lowered 2.5psi to match yours.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:06 AM
95ONE
Race Car

19 above 14.7 (reference voltage for the MAP) That 19.9 is nothing. There is nothing being logged on that channel. That requires a Zeitronix boost sensor which I dont have. I am reading the Vitesse MAP sensor on user 2. You need to look at user input 2 that is just a voltage. Then I reference to the lookup chart to that MAP voltage (I got stupid and didn't put the correction table into the zeitronix when I bought a new laptop..it will make the output in psi)
So then you had absolutely no boost gauge? just voltage to estimate boost? That explains the negative sign in front of the boost number. I just read your post below. You had a map sensor that read 33.7psia. GOT IT>> 19PSI it is. NOT 19.9

Last edited by 95ONE; 06-21-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:07 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

So you would compare your dyno numbers directly to his corrected 400whp. So if your 23psi is making 365whp, his 20 is making 400. As mentioned in many posts, the Australians Dynos probably read lower, and no two dyno set ups or conditions are the same.
This just confused me. There is the gauge vs absolute boost.

I had 19+14.7 (the MAP reference) = 33.7psia

However, for me to get 33.7, my boost gauge (not the logged MAP but the typical boost gauge someone installs) references to my atmosphere. This means my boost gauge will show 19+ (14.7-12) = 19+2.7 = 21.7

If you are sea level (or lets say "standard atmospheric conditions) you can compare (ballpark..ignoring the losses talked about above) my 21.7psi of boost with your 19psi of boost. Basically think I need 3 psi more boost to make similar power.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:08 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

So then you had absolutely no boost gauge? just voltage to estimate boost?
No, i have a boost gauge, but I really don't watch it. The MAP sensor is much more accurate, and I can log it.

-Dana
Old 06-21-2012, 01:10 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

But, you said that your 19.9 psi was already calculated in using sea level atmospheric as a base pressure, therefore, it would be exactly the same pressure as someone seeing 19.9 psi on their gauge who is at or close to sea level.

ergo. Boost would not need to be lowered 2.5psi to match yours.
Correct, with the exception that that 19.9 psi is not a valid number. The MAP voltage (user input 2 is a valid number). I was about 19psi (3.60V = 19psi, 3.70V = 20 psi) above 14.7psi.

When talking about pressures, reference point is very important. A MAP sensor references against a vacuum so it never changes.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:15 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

If you have a stock intercooler, I might understand your loss of 20% cooling capacity, BUT.. if you have an upgraded intercooler that runs at say 20% more efficient.. not a stretch by any means. I did not say 20% bigger. I said 20% more efficient, which I could easily get 20% more efficiency than the stock thick brick that sits in the car from the factory. more front surface area, thinner core, smoother flow path designed for higher pressures etc. You now have an intercooler that negates any argument for less power because of loss of cooling potential. You might have a slightly larger area to compress which is also nothing to be considered for power numbers, it only slows spool by a tiny margin that would probably not be noticed.

What Am I saying? If you still have the stock intercooler - yes, you are correct,
but, if you plan your set up correctly, and buy the proper intercooler for your boost levels and delta P (pressure differentials - Plural) the power loss will be extremely small to zero. Now throw in a water to air with dry ice. Now you're working at over 100% efficiency, which brings me to your next statement. .....
I have a stock intercooler and pipes.

But even if I improve the cooling efficiency, if I move it down to sea level I still get 20% more air mass flowing over it so no matter what I do the same air-air intercooler between high and low altitude is more efficient at low altitude.

What happens if that I can tune for high altitude, but it is a compromise. IF you do the same things at sea level you typically see bigger results.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:19 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

agreed. But still reference my statement above 100% efficiency for use of ice or dry ice in a quarter mile run.
To get to part of the meat of the subject, what works well on a dyno doesnt always work well on the street. What works well on the street doesn't always work well on the strip. What works on a road course is different than what works on the strip.

Dynos don;t get wheel spinning with big boost spikes (i tried tuning those out tonight with varying degrees of success)
Old 06-21-2012, 01:23 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

If all he has is a Vitesse Stage 2R and 20psi. (supporting fuel and tune an obvious necessity) I highly doubt the correction would equal 400whp. - I'm not saying his combination is anything less than fantastic, - Which I think some might see my cold calculating words are trying to do - they are not.. I am just trying to shed light with an opposing INTERNET OPINION based on first hand experience.
Regardless of what anyone thinks about high altitude, my uncorrected number was 355rwhp on an eddy current dyno. Those typically read somewhat lower than a dynojet.

This is why I like uncorrected numbers. IF you want to outrun my 951 in acceleration, as this altitude I don't care how you make the power, you will need to be able to have more than 3305/355 = 9.31 lb/hp uncorrected at this altitude. Races are not won by correction factors. How you do it (turbo, nitrous, NA, blower) doesn't matter, that would be the target that is needed.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:23 AM
95ONE
Race Car

This just confused me. There is the gauge vs absolute boost.

I had 19+14.7 (the MAP reference) = 33.7psia

However, for me to get 33.7, my boost gauge (not the logged MAP but the typical boost gauge someone installs) references to my atmosphere. This means my boost gauge will show 19+ (14.7-12) = 19+2.7 = 21.7

If you are sea level (or lets say "standard atmospheric conditions) you can compare (ballpark..ignoring the losses talked about above) my 21.7psi of boost with your 19psi of boost. Basically think I need 3 psi more boost to make similar power.

Here is a quote I followed earlier in the thread.

No its a mixed absolute/gauge. I have described incorrectly.

However, you must realize that a the MAP sensor is NOT like a boost gauge. A boost gauge references to atmospheric pressure. So it shows a differential pressure from atmosphere.

A MAP sensor is sealed in a vacuum and references to zero. So at 14.7psi atmospheric pressure ("zero boost" at sea level), the MAP voltage is 1.52. I was at about 3.60V so 19psi above 14.7psi.

You kept saying "19psi above 14.7psi." last 3 parts of the sentence above. That would mean you have the same absolute pressure as I do in Houston if my boost gauge referenced straight from my atmosphere.

The same would hold for Patrick if he lives at sea level. Therefore, no boost adjustment would be needed to keep things equal.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about high altitude, my uncorrected number was 355rwhp on an eddy current dyno.

This is why I like uncorrected numbers. IF you want to outrun my 951 in acceleration, as this altitude I don't care how you make the power, you will need to be able to have more than 3305/355 = 9.31 lb/hp uncorrected at this altitude. Races are not won by correction factors. How you do it (turbo, nitrous, NA, blower) doesn't matter, that would be the target that is needed.
Very well said. End of story.

I have a stock intercooler and pipes.
But even if I improve the cooling efficiency, if I move it down to sea level I still get 20% more air mass flowing over it so no matter what I do the same air-air intercooler between high and low altitude is more efficient at low altitude.
What happens if that I can tune for high altitude, but it is a compromise. IF you do the same things at sea level you typically see bigger results.
Not exactly true. Diminishing returns the closer you get to Ambient no matter what altitude. An intercooler better and more more efficient than anything in the world and bigger than your car will never get you less than outside temps. Therefore, a very strong one that is 95% efficient at altitude (and actually fits in your car) will still net you a after intercooler temp within say 10 degrees of one running around in Houston with the same outside / ambient temps. That 10 degrees isn't doing much. It all certainly adds up though, which is clearly why altitude cars, even if boosted, still lose horsepower. It's just not nearly as much as so many correction factors I've seen floating around .

Car and me were 3305lbs on the scale at the track.
Well, that works out fairly well. Using this online calculator and inputting 3305lbs at 355whp gives you an estimate trap speed of 111. CLICK HERE That is fantastically close to what actually happened. Well done.

LOL DANAT slow down

Did you have fun? Did you get to meet Sid? I'm truly jealous.

Last edited by 95ONE; 06-21-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:41 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

You kept saying "19psi above 14.7psi." last 3 parts of the sentence above. That would mean you have the same absolute pressure as I do in Houston if my boost gauge referenced straight from my atmosphere.

The same would hold for Patrick if he lives at sea level. Therefore, no boost adjustment would be needed.
Yes. I have 19psi above 14.7. That means you can mostly compare my 19psi to a sea level 19psi (again with the caveat that I have different pressure ratios, intercooler cooling, etc).

Gauge psi (on a boost gauge) would have been about 3 psi higher (not many people can read 0.3psi on a boost gauge).

The MAF values are referenced to 14.7psi (0 psi boost = 1.52V on the MAP) but is REALLY 14.7psi absolute. (actually they are referenced to vacuum = 0 but use the transfer function below and you can calculate absolute)

Here is MAP voltage vs ABSOLUTE pressure

Notice that the first dot is 14.7psi (1.52V). But the MAP can read below that.

As an example with the car off and the MAP powered at Bandimere tonight, I logged 1.23V or 12.001psi absolute atmospheric condition.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:44 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Did you have fun? Did you get to meet Sid? I'm truly jealous.
Racing is always fun (as long as stuff doesn't break). Sid lives about 6.3 minutes from me...

There were 5 rennlisters there....
Old 06-21-2012, 01:46 AM
95ONE
Race Car

DanaT, It is sincerely amazing and dizzying to no end how two people can say the same thing in so many different ways. It is this reason that debates can get so frustrating because half the time they are arguing the same point and don't even know it Agreed with all of the post above. (oops, post #42, you posted again before I hit enter. )

Racing is always fun (as long as stuff doesn't break). Sid lives about 6.3 minutes from me...

There were 5 rennlisters there....

The 951 Rennlist is STRONG in Colorado. Sounds like you guys had a fun night none the less. Believe it or not, I don't talk like this in person!

DANAT.... You, Sid, and whoever else can dyno their cars with uncorrected numbers need to get your butts down here and Dyno. I will pay one nights hotel for all of you and 3 dyno runs each. I kid you not. I think this will shut ALL of us up, because there will be nothing but smiles and good times to be had by all. And most likely Dyno numbers that will be split right down the middle of all our estimates. Even if not, and I'm completely wrong, It will have been worth it to see everyone and hear all the stories and see all the faces and cars... besides, I'm cheating a little. I didn't say you wouldn't have to share a room, and that I know the Dyno owner personally, and probably won't have to pay much for the time. >

Last edited by 95ONE; 06-21-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:06 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Ok, so let me get this straight. You have a Stage 2 turbo, 80lb injs, stock i/c, 2.5" exhaust and that's kinda it. You run 355whp @ 19 or 20psi at 5000' on a hot day?

I have GT3076 .82, bigger cam, fmic rated to 600hp, bigger hard pipes, 3.5" dpipe into larger exhaust, Motec M400, full sequential cdi, 1000cc injs, 3x044s running race E85 at approx 500' and display this chart with a 24psi peak leveling down to 23psi. Oh and this is with a brand new wastegate.

I am not bashing anyone here, but I just don't get it. The guys tuning my car are not shade tree mechanics either. Here's my ign map also. May I deduce that if we brought your car to my dyno at a significantly lower altitude and ran 23psi that you'd be up near 450whp. What am I missing??
Attached Images   
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Hardcopy ign map 944.pdf (182.0 KB, 102 views)

Quick Reply: Interesting Dyno Day