Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Drive Line Vibration - Torque Tube Shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:00 AM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Drive Line Vibration - Torque Tube Shaft?

I searched through several threads without finding a specific answer, so please post a link if this info is out there…

I have the dreaded 2800 to ~3200 vibration mainly felt at the shift lever, no noises or noticeable feeling through the seat or steering wheel.

With my Super Bearing equipped TT now separated from the bell housing and trans I measured the drive shaft run out at the clutch end to be .007”. Is this too high? My other TT shaft is .004” at the same point.

I see Constantine mentions replacement drive shafts, so I’ll contact him for some numbers too.

TIA
Old 06-18-2012, 11:40 AM
acorad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you isolate the vibration? For example if it's vibrating when it's in gear, car not moving, with the clutch in, the only thing that can be rotating is the pressure plate and flywheel.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:57 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by acorad
Can you isolate the vibration? For example if it's vibrating when it's in gear, car not moving, with the clutch in, the only thing that can be rotating is the pressure plate and flywheel.
With the clutch released or not, the vibration is present. I pulled the clutch and FW because of this result then checked the TT shaft and now I’m here with??

More background… my pressure plate was balanced with the release bearing in place. Is that correct? A lot of material was removed from the PP, pic for reference, would the release bearing affect the balance. Could this cause the vibration and possibly bend the drive shaft?
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2012, 08:42 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Balance shafts? If it vibrates at a stop with the clutch in, it isn't the torque tube.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:47 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by arthropraxis
Balance shafts? The balance shafts are good. If it vibrates at a stop with the clutch in, it isn't the torque tube. I agree that’s why I am almost convinced the PP is the cause.

Let me back up some more. This lightened FW clutch disc and PP were used previously with my original TT after a standard TT bearing replacement… no vibration.

I decided to rebuild a spare TT with the Super Bearings and have the FW and PP balanced for good measure, didn’t touch the balance shaft belt with either setup.
I left the release bearing in the PP when delivered to the machine shop and believe this threw off the PP balance.

Finally I’m questioning if the TT shaft is out of spec.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

IIRC the TOB can move relative to the PP. It's not easy, it's held on with a stiff flat diaphragm spring. Maybe the TOB moved after balancing, or during install, or due to wear?
Old 06-23-2012, 06:02 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Thanks Dave. I will have the assembly checked with and without the TOB once removed.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:52 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Default Resolution Reached

Doing some house cleaning...

Thanks to this thread, Finished my First Belt Change - help vibration, I discovered the bottom balance shaft sprocket cover pin was in the wrong key way.

I'm convinced this occurred simply by not having the sprocket fully seated on the balance shaft when fitting the sprocket cover. In this instance the cover pin will not initially contact the woodruff key, but will become bent/ wedged against the key when torqued down.

Also the improperly balanced pressure plate added to the vibration.

I was reaching a bit questioning the drive shaft, no issue there.

She is smooth from idle to redline!

Thanks again listers... back on the road Boostin!!!
Old 04-02-2018, 01:21 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 35 Posts

This is a really old thread but I thought it was relevant to some of the issues I'm experiencing. Curious if anyone can quickly diagnose...

Consistent vibration and gearbox chatter in first and second gears when the motor is decelerating (4,000 RPM down to idle). No major clunks or sounds, just a consistent friction sound that can be felt through the shifter. This goes away when the clutch is engaged or when I get above 4,000 RPM.

*Full clutch kit was done 700 miles ago but the same symptom was present before the clutch job so I'm guessing it has something to do with the actual gears in the trans.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Drive Line Vibration - Torque Tube Shaft?