Testing waters - 996 Turbo Twists

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Testing waters - 996 Turbo Twists

Hi all,

I recently picked up a set of hollow spoke 996 Turbo Twists, and, while I think they're awesome wheels, I'm not really feeling them on my car. So, I figured I'd throw a post up here and see if anyone was interested in trading anything for them. Not sure exactly what I would want... anything that would make my car go faster or handle better probably, maybe partial trades + $$? I don't know.

Anyway, they're authentic hollow spokes, 18x8 and 18x11, made by BBS. They've been refinished by the PO and look great except for one small curb mark on one of them. They do have center caps, but they're not the right ones, they're the painted crest caps, not the ones that say "Turbo". They have Pirelli P-Zero Rosso tires on them - 285/35-18 rear and 225/40-18 front. The rears are in good shape and have probably about 75% tread left. The fronts have a lot of tread, but they're badly weather checked.

Here's a pic of them on my car:

Anyway, if anyone is interested in a trade let me know.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:56 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

They look nice to me but then again, I am a little bit biased toward the hollow spokes. If not these, what are you thinking of trying next?
Old 06-16-2012, 06:27 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I like hollow spokes, but I'm biased too as I have 993 hollows on my car.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudbuddha
They look nice to me but then again, I am a little bit biased toward the hollow spokes. If not these, what are you thinking of trying next?
I don't think they look bad. In fact, I think they look good, but they're just not the right ones for me. I'm not sure what I'll try next. Something with some lip. A buddy of mine has a set of 17" 3-piece cup wheels from a 964 RS America that I've been trying to talk him out of, so maybe those. I'll probably stick with the Fuchs for a while longer though. I like them a lot.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:34 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrenan
I like hollow spokes, but I'm biased too as I have 993 hollows on my car.
I've always loved hollow spokes on 951's, and that's why I picked these up. I was super excited to get them, but as soon as I put them on my car, it all sorta went away... Maybe it's the crystal green that throws it off? Maybe it's that I've gotten really used to having a shiny lip on my Fuchs? I don't know.. It was a weird moment for me... every other car I've ever seen them on I thought they looked great, but on mine it was just... not as awesome as I thought it would be...

Either way, I know they'll look amazing on any other car, so I'm hoping someone who wants them has something I want.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:57 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

How about if you get them painted in a darker color it'll go better with the car...metallic satin black or something...The Fuchs have black centers maybe that's what set them off nicely with your paint. GLWS.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudbuddha
How about if you get them painted in a darker color it'll go better with the car...metallic satin black or something...The Fuchs have black centers maybe that's what set them off nicely with your paint. GLWS.
Ahh, but you see my Fuchs have a gold center and a polished lip... they're dirty in this pic, but you get the idea

Old 06-16-2012, 07:29 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Dave as it sits I think the Fuch look better too, but IMO with the correct spacers these 996 hollow spokes will look right when more flush with the fenders. Also the 285 tires look a tad narrow for that back wheel.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave
I think they look awesome. What if you change your stone guards from the old gold to new clear ones? Maybe that would change your mind about them.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951Saga
Well Dave as it sits I think the Fuch look better too, but IMO with the correct spacers these 996 hollow spokes will look right when more flush with the fenders. Also the 285 tires look a tad narrow for that back wheel.
I agree that they could look great, but I think I would just be happier with a bigger/better turbo or something than new wheels right now... They definitely need spacers, the front wheel can't even spin w/o them 'cause it's pinched down on the bearing cap.

I also thought the 285 looked a bit narrow, but it's what came on them... if I keep them, I'll probably try to do a 295 or wider for the next set. That reminds me though, I was looking around the internet and found a picture of a guy with these wheels on a jetta and he had a 215 on the rears.... and he was super excited about his "hella-flush-super-stretch-stance" I got a good laugh out of that!
Old 06-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Richgreenster
Dave
I think they look awesome. What if you change your stone guards from the old gold to new clear ones? Maybe that would change your mind about them.
I definitely need new stone guards, regardless.. those are supposed to be clear! They're just so old and dingy they look gold-ish

Quick Reply: Testing waters - 996 Turbo Twists