Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need some advice from the Aussies - and Blacky may be for sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012 | 12:55 PM
brrgrr
Racer

Default Need some advice from the Aussies - and Blacky may be for sale

Hey all - I may be taking a three year assignment in Australia -(Bathurst,NSW) - I need a little help on picking a good car.

I can't bring the 951 over, so I'm looking at some fun to drive options -
I'm going to need 2 cars - a fun to drive commuter car and a fun to drive 4 door sedan. Any help is appreciated - I don't know anything about the car scene in Australia - what is available, what is cool, etc.

On a side note - I'm considering selling "Blacky" - I don't want to store the car for three years. I'd rather have someone enjoy it and start a new project when I return. This is Ski's old car - highly modified and bad to the bone. If you have interest, PM me.

Thanks ----
Old 06-07-2012 | 01:00 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by brrgrr
I don't know anything about the scene in Australia - what is available, what is cool, etc.

Thanks ----
Australia scene, lol
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2012 | 01:04 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Bathurst. Probably the most incredible racetrack in the world. I am biased of course

If its a 3 year assignment as a foreigner, I would experience something locally built. Try a BA onwards Ford Falcon XR6 turbo. It will do as both fun and a commuter. Truckloads of power stock and much more with mods.
Old 06-07-2012 | 01:23 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, we might have to talk.

You should say, highly modified, bad to the bone, AND reliable!

Last edited by Ski; 06-08-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-07-2012 | 01:25 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

DONE!

OR

A Holden Comodore V series? (basicly a Pontiac GTO / Cadilac CTSV) ... 6L V8, 6 Speed gearbox.. fun all day long in a 4 door!
Old 06-08-2012 | 06:17 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

^Lol John. We all drive around in cars like that dontchaknow?

brrgrr, you will find that cars over here are waaaaaaayyy more expensive than you're used to. Fuel too. You'll just have to take it in your stride. The upshot is, as has been mentioned. You're right at our best racetrack. Thing is that this is public roads and not available to race on except for a few times a year. Still, worth checking out for sure. You're about 3.5 hours out of Sydney which is our largest city so that is good.
As for a car, I wouldn't waste too much money on a good car down here. Way too many cops and cameras to enjoy yourself. Better off buying a car you can track and join a car club and do DEs or Club Competitions.
Old 06-08-2012 | 07:15 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Your best bet is to go on carsales.com.au and checkout what is available
Old 06-08-2012 | 07:38 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333

brrgrr, you will find that cars over here are waaaaaaayyy more expensive than you're used to. Fuel too. You'll just have to take it in your stride. The upshot is, as has been mentioned. You're right at our best racetrack. Thing is that this is public roads and not available to race on except for a few times a year. Still, worth checking out for sure. You're about 3.5 hours out of Sydney which is our largest city so that is good.
As for a car, I wouldn't waste too much money on a good car down here. Way too many cops and cameras to enjoy yourself. Better off buying a car you can track and join a car club and do DEs or Club Competitions.
Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
Your best bet is to go on carsales.com.au and checkout what is available
+1 on both

how much do you want to spend?
what are you looking for?

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...9801&silo=1011

something like that? best of both worlds?
Old 06-08-2012 | 10:16 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 333pg333

You mean you guy don't all run around like Max?

You mean you don't all have Eucalyptus trees full of Koalas?

You mean you don't all have Kangaroos bouncing around in your yards like Squirrels?

Next thing you are gunna tell me you dont all enjoy a good shrimp on the barbie!

Old 06-08-2012 | 10:23 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

I can count three out of four above....
Old 06-08-2012 | 10:24 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dubai944
I can count three out of four above....
Old 06-08-2012 | 10:47 AM
carlege
Drifting

I havent checked what is available for the market you are in but Subarus are always a fun daily driver
Old 06-08-2012 | 06:26 PM
brrgrr
Racer

The Ford Falcon xr6 turbo looks quite nice, and the prices for the used ones (2003 - 2007) aren't too bad, either.

Are there any smaller, lighter options ? I would prefer locally built. Ford focus RS ? or similar ?
Old 06-09-2012 | 01:00 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

The Ford Falcon xr6 turbo looks quite nice, and the prices for the used ones (2003 - 2007) aren't too bad, either.

Are there any smaller, lighter options ? I would prefer locally built. Ford focus RS ? or similar ?
i've got a mate who has xr6 turbo, pretty quick cars.

have a look at a focus xr5 turbo.
Old 06-09-2012 | 04:46 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

The only oz made cars are holden commodores (big), ford falcons (big), toyoto camrys and corollas . Focus rs were brought in in limited supply and are expensive. If you want something fun under 50k my pick would be a renault megane rs, renault clio rs or an e46 330ci, 986 boxster s. I'm not a fan of vw, but if you are feeling lucky there is always the gti. I don't like the wrx either - it has a particular image atthed to it.

Quick Reply: Need some advice from the Aussies - and Blacky may be for sale