Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dome light help

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 04:50 PM
SCEV
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome light help

My dome light was working fine (after cleaning up the switches in the door jams), but today started staying on all the time. If you open either door, the light gets brighter...then when you close the door, the light gets dimmer. So it seems the switches are working fine.

Is there anything else besides the doors that cause the dome light to come on? Any other ideas on what could be causing this?
Old 06-03-2012, 06:24 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem but my dome light is really dim when I close the doors, checked the switches, they work fine.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

One of the rear struts has a switch on it too but my bet is it has something to do with the switches you cleaned. When you open the door the switch grounds the wire attached to complete the circuit. If light doesn't go out it means the circuit is being grounded somewhere, and only goes brighter because when switch on door is activated ground improves.

Does the light work when passenger door is opened too ? If the wire comes off the back of the switch and touches the body, then you will have the dome light come on but not as bright. Have a look at both switches and make sure wire is properly attached
peace
Cyberpunky
Old 06-04-2012, 10:39 AM
SCEV
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
One of the rear struts has a switch on it too but my bet is it has something to do with the switches you cleaned. When you open the door the switch grounds the wire attached to complete the circuit. If light doesn't go out it means the circuit is being grounded somewhere, and only goes brighter because when switch on door is activated ground improves.

Does the light work when passenger door is opened too ? If the wire comes off the back of the switch and touches the body, then you will have the dome light come on but not as bright. Have a look at both switches and make sure wire is properly attached
peace
Cyberpunky
It's on "dim" all the time, and gets brighter when you open the driver side door, passenger side door or trunk. So it seems all three switches are working properly. I've looked at the switch in the trunk and there is no "leak to ground". I'll take out the ones in the door jams tonight and see if something happend to one of them.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:19 PM
SCEV
Instructor

Well, it wasn't the switches...took them out and everything looked fine. While looking at the switch in the trunk, I noticed if I push on the carpet around the light, it would come on and off. Found a loose connection on the back of the light and that seems to have solved my problem.

Quick Reply: Dome light help