Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

While in there check up list for a leaky crank seal...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 02:08 AM
Medski
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default While in there check up list for a leaky crank seal...

I got a crank seal thats leaking and need to replace that. Now I'm guessing this would be a good time for a new timing belt as I have about 18k miles on it, but heh, it needs to go off anyways. Water pump I would need to verify my papers to check when it was last changed.

I also need to change the steering column joint, how big of a pain is this one? Its started to get some play, I noticed a vibration when I turn right.. I just changed both front wheel bearing yesterday so that's surely not the issue.

But other than that anything else I should check, add to the list ''while I'm in there''?
Old 05-24-2012, 05:59 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Check out my recent thread on a similar question on the main 944 forum - lots of advice about what else to change while you're in there...
Old 05-25-2012, 01:31 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

One commonly overlooked item when trying to stop a crank seal oil leak is the oil pump drive gear. That gear has a smooth surface, and is what makes contact with the crank seal (the crank doesn't touch the seal). Slide that gear off the crank and examine it closely. If you see ANY grove on the smooth part of the sleeve, it needs to be replaced. Most of these cars with 150k miles and over are probably due to have this part replaced, or you will continue to have oil leaks at the crank. The cost is around $40.

From the parts catalog: 944 107 161 02 Toothed Sleeve

Also, don't forget to replace the o-ring that is pinched against this gear/sleeve and the flat washer behind the timing belt gear. The o-ring is included with any o-ring & seal kit that you might buy, but if you are building your own list, don't forget about it.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Medski
Instructor

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Most of these cars with 150k miles and over are probably due to have this part replaced, or you will continue to have oil leaks at the crank.
I'm at 218k miles on mine (daily driven but not in winter), I think that gear is still original (or still old...) based on the last 10 years of maintenance records show no sign of that one. Thanks for the infos.

Quick Reply: While in there check up list for a leaky crank seal...