Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cleaning cylinder head for new gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 12:06 PM
zogster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cleaning cylinder head for new gasket

What's the best way to finish cleaning up the mating face of my cylinder head before I re-assemble everything?

I scraped off the old gasket material OK and got it pretty clean mostly using plastic scouring pads, and rubbing alcohol, but there are still areas of black discolouration in the metal - see pic.

The surface feels smooth now, but should I give it a final rub-down with something like 600 grit paper? Is there a good chemical approach? Should I just spend another couple of hours with a scouring pad? Or is it probably clean/flat enough already?

(Note: I'm not worried about any head distortion - the gasket replacement etc is because of bent valves. Planning to have a machine shop replace the bent inlet valves and possibly guides, but do everything else myself.)

Last edited by zogster; 06-29-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:05 PM
dp951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since your head will be going to the machine shop let them prep the surface of the head, at the same time check to verify it being flat , usually when a shop works on a head, they oven bake, media blast and clean it any way ?

( btw those specks are in the pores of the head below the upper surface)
Dp951

Last edited by dp951; 05-14-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I use a fresh razor blade, then a solvent like brake cleaner, and then, if there seems like any major scratches or metal bits sticking up, a file or honing stone.

Quick Reply: Cleaning cylinder head for new gasket