Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What is going on with these !

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
2 most common issues I have found on the number of cars I have been working on...

1) over tightening the jam nuts... they only need to be snug, not squeak tight...
2) over tightening the mounting hardware... if the mounting bolts are too tight, the ends will distort when you adjust the tensioner... causing them to break... (have seen a few looking like the pictures you posted... each one had the moutning bolts WAY too tight, and MOST also had the jam nuts WAY too tight)

next time, loosen the mount bolts before you adjust the adjuster... then snug them once the belt is tensioned.
Thank you for the tip its not obvious but i have actually tried that as well . This time the tentioner broke becouse a bolt had backed out and the tentioner hit the road. Funny thing is that the threads in the block mount are worn out .
Old 05-09-2012, 12:49 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adonay
Thank you for the tip its not obvious but i have actually tried that as well . This time the tentioner broke becouse a bolt had backed out and the tentioner hit the road. Funny thing is that the threads in the block mount are worn out .
Ahhh, the joys of owning a 25 YO Porsche...

FWIW, I use nylon self locking nuts on the mounts, just to keep them from backing out!
Old 05-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have nylock nuts, locktite and welded the last locking nut now :-D
Old 05-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Mr.Rodgers
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JoKa, Reimus, Dougs951, and I found mine to be in the same condition as yours while we were doing my wp and belts.

Doesn't sound like yours is going anywhere for a while. Just hope your alternator doesn't die on you again. Getting it back out looks like it'd be fun

Quick Reply: What is going on with these !