Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Can power seats switches be repaired?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cleaner and WD fixed mine. No disassembly. Just carefully sprayed.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:03 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

If its like the window, the small spring goes in the toggle part of the switch and the ball sits on the end of it.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:26 PM
acorad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, that was fast!!

There's a brass post set in a recess inside the center post of the switch plate, I think the tiny spring resides inside that recess and pushes the post out of it's recess and into its plastic guide on the body of the switch.

Next question, I took the two small brass pivoting connecters off that get pushed on by the bearing/spring combination and cleaned them and and where they contact the brass part of the body of the switch with an eraser, and was able to intermittantly get the switch to work up and down by manipulating those small brass pivoting connectors.

Now however all I can get is the motor to turn a half turn or so in either direction.

Any ideas about that?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:25 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I would try lightly sanding the ends. I don't think an eraser will do it.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:36 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the switches interchangebale from one side to the other? Actually, can the seat bottoms and backs be changed from one side to another? I have new leather seat covers for my seats and was thinking of moving the passenger side seat to the drivers side. Is there any reason that can't be done? I'm talking about 8 way power seats. BTW.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:10 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by acorad
Thanks guys, that was fast!!

Now however all I can get is the motor to turn a half turn or so in either direction.

Any ideas about that?
Different car, same problem. I had to take the electric motor apart and solder the current limt plates together.

Not a job for someone who has not worked with bruses and their springs before. Might just want to replace it.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:37 PM
acorad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. I spent about an hour messing with the switch and got it to work. Not even sure what I did. Anyway, I got the seat back in the car and now the front switch won't raise the seat. So I switched the leads on the motor and raised it up as high as it will go and then put the leads back where they belong and will lower the seat to where I like it. I suppose a new switch is the answer.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:40 AM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I've given a few cpr over the years by just washing them out and lubing them with some random aerosol puppy jizz, I didn't even take them apart.
A true rattle can rebuild
Old 05-17-2012, 04:26 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

GOTTA ASK AGAIN! Are the backs and bottoms interchangeable?
Old 05-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

When it comes to switches and potentiometers I have had a lot of success with “Deoxit F5”.

For example one of my window switches were inoperable (could not physically push it to “ON”) and the other soon to follow. That spray and some massage brought both back to life and they now feel as smooth as new.

I have also successfully used it on a very scratchy radio volume control and numerous other intermittent switches.

Laust

Quick Reply: Can power seats switches be repaired?