Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Best bolt-on turbo for 400 street whp ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 02:54 AM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Why did you opt for the solid lifters? Not necessary for anything but high end track car.
Patrick, I don't understand why this is even considered without a dry sump, specific/sorted cam, and much else to make solid lifters worth the extra maintaince. Most of the solid lifter 951 cars I've seen, can't spin above 7K without oiling issues.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:11 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have any additional input on the turbo but...with the solid lifter stuffs, its best to use that money for better connecting rods. Despite being an internal engine part, they technically are held on by bolts. I guess that would make them a "bolt in" instead of a "bolt on", but that would be true for installation of a solid valve train, so I suppose it would still fit your upgrade guidelines.

I'm in the process of switching from a custom solid follower setup, to factory hydraulic followers on my 16V engine. I was changing cam profiles and the benefit of solid followers, just wasn't there, so I took the opportunity to go back to hydraulic.

Here's another thought (this could just be the 2nd or 3rd red bull talking though). Unless the car is being used, competitively, on a high speed road course, the need for solid cam followers becomes less, as the horse power increases. Here's why: a hydraulic follower can handle a short duration at high rpm before "pumping up" and valve float becomes an issue. With more hp, the time spent at high rpm, whether on the street or track, is reduced. I would only see hydraulic followers as a detractor during runs to red line in 4th and 5th (140 to 145 and 170 to 180 mph , respectively) where a high rpm is sustained for a few seconds. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd will hit red line so fast, with 400rwhp, that it wouldn't make a difference. Now, you could bump the red line up to, lets say, 7.5K with the solid followers, but the rest of the rotating/reciprocating assembly needs to be addressed for that. The increase in stress from just the rpm bump would be greater than the added stress from the horse power increase.

Sorry for the slight OT

Back to your regularly scheduled, 944T forum, thread digression...
Old 03-04-2012, 04:12 AM
brandon19761
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Why did you opt for the solid lifters? Not necessary for anything but high end track car.
Whomever the previous owner had rebuild the engine (some shop in Texas) supposedly put solid lifters in it along with Wiseco pistons and lightened rods...... After I bought the car I got to thinking that I should have waited for something completely stock, but I grew impatient and insisted on an "S" car. May have been a big mistake. Car runs fine though. I'm not worried about the valve adjustment issue since the car wont see many miles..
Old 03-04-2012, 04:17 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brandon19761
Whomever the previous owner had rebuild the engine (some shop in Texas) supposedly put solid lifters in it along with Wiseco pistons and lightened rods...... After I bought the car I got to thinking that I should have waited for something completely stock, but I grew impatient and insisted on an "S" car. May have been a big mistake. Car runs fine though. I'm not worried about the valve adjustment issue since the car wont see many miles..
Ah, had the impression you were staring from stock. It sounds like you have a good base to build on.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:28 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

then you would really want something with a twin scroll housing with a quick spool valve to have the quicker spool and some mighty top end.

a GTX3071R with a Twinscroll housing would be so responsive and it'll make a lot power
Old 03-04-2012, 04:31 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For the sake of changing a flange when you are getting head work and exhaust work done anyway, go full garrett. The KKK and replica housings are rubbish compared to garrett. Heck even look for the HKS TO4Z as an option. Sweet wee turbo.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:38 AM
brandon19761
Instructor

I just wish there was a trick bolt on option....
I may just have to learn how to Weld....
Old 03-04-2012, 04:39 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It will be $50 of welding... it represents 0.1% of the cost of the build and had a significant influence on the characteristics of the car.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:44 AM
brandon19761
Instructor

I'm thinking the PO was planning on tracking the car. I never got to talk to him because it was an Ebay deal that went sour after I got the car and realized the dealer that sold it for him wasn't completely honest about it. I was pissed because I found holes where there was once, or going to be a roll cage then plugged with plastic push retainers. After we had words he would not let me talk to the previous owner like what had been agreed before...

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
I don't have any additional input on the turbo but...with the solid lifter stuffs, its best to use that money for better connecting rods. Despite being an internal engine part, they technically are held on by bolts. I guess that would make them a "bolt in" instead of a "bolt on", but that would be true for installation of a solid valve train, so I suppose it would still fit your upgrade guidelines.

I'm in the process of switching from a custom solid follower setup, to factory hydraulic followers on my 16V engine. I was changing cam profiles and the benefit of solid followers, just wasn't there, so I took the opportunity to go back to hydraulic.

Here's another thought (this could just be the 2nd or 3rd red bull talking though). Unless the car is being used, competitively, on a high speed road course, the need for solid cam followers becomes less, as the horse power increases. Here's why: a hydraulic follower can handle a short duration at high rpm before "pumping up" and valve float becomes an issue. With more hp, the time spent at high rpm, whether on the street or track, is reduced. I would only see hydraulic followers as a detractor during runs to red line in 4th and 5th (140 to 145 and 170 to 180 mph , respectively) where a high rpm is sustained for a few seconds. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd will hit red line so fast, with 400rwhp, that it wouldn't make a difference. Now, you could bump the red line up to, lets say, 7.5K with the solid followers, but the rest of the rotating/reciprocating assembly needs to be addressed for that. The increase in stress from just the rpm bump would be greater than the added stress from the horse power increase.

Sorry for the slight OT

Back to your regularly scheduled, 944T forum, thread digression...
Old 03-04-2012, 04:44 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

welding is so dam easy! im 20 and i can use Arc, MIG & TIG.

i learnt to arc weld when i was 13 TIG & MIG when i was 16.

i have no qualifications for welding and i'm no engineer.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:46 AM
brandon19761
Instructor

Originally Posted by NZ951
It will be $50 of welding... it represents 0.1% of the cost of the build and had a significant influence on the characteristics of the car.
Good point! Maybe I'll just have to ditch the bolt on idea and get it over with...
Old 03-04-2012, 04:47 AM
brandon19761
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paulyy
welding is so dam easy! im 20 and i can use Arc, MIG & TIG.

i learnt to arc weld when i was 13 TIG & MIG when i was 16.

i have no qualifications for welding and i'm no engineer.
hmm. Maybe I'll pick one up and go to town then! I hate even soldering though. I dont always get along with melting metal I guess...
Old 03-04-2012, 06:50 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Work is extremely cheap in the U.S. Just pay someone to do what you need. Having said that, I've been in or owned cars with Vitesse turbos and they went very well. I get the very real sense that a 'true' 400whp will create more problems than it solves.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:09 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Wheres Reno...

This question has been asked that many times. i've been thinking about making a "What modifications should i do: answers here" thread.

Any gt30 series turbo will get you there.
any turbo that will push more then 450 lb/min will get you there.
LOL dude if you only knew................
Old 03-04-2012, 02:33 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ951
The KKK and replica housings are rubbish compared to garrett..

So why do you say the kkk/replica are rubbish?

Quick Reply: Best bolt-on turbo for 400 street whp ?