Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

FIREEE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts

Possibly a doubled oil filter base gasket. Old gasket from the old filter stuck to the mount and new gasket on the new filter, that will create a jet of oil at high pressure to come out between them due to lack of side support.

Always check for this, I make the two filters 'kiss' to be sure the gaskets are there and they match up.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Google STP oil filter leak....
Old 02-22-2012, 03:25 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AZ sells a LOT of STP filters--they're not all bad. this was probably a manufacturing defect.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:37 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matt4674
ok yes i bought a ****ty oil filter, but it is still hard for my to wrap my head around that being what caused the catastrophic failure. what about the oil system being over pressured as maybe the oil pressure regulator faulted and caused a pressure spike or something.
Why are you looking for a more complex resolution to the problem? It was a cheap filter and it failed. Clean up the mess and install a Mahle filter, and I doubt you will ever have the problem again.

How would you ever prove that you had an oil pressure spike? Unless you were data-logging oil pressure at the moment of the failure, you are shooting in the dark. On the other hand, if you have a reason to suspect anything other than a cheap filter failing, you could always replace the oil pump or the oil pressure relief valve I guess... but if it were me, I'd wait and see if the problem ever happens with a quality filter that was installed properly.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:56 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Why are you looking for a more complex resolution to the problem? It was a cheap filter and it failed. Clean up the mess and install a Mahle filter, and I doubt you will ever have the problem again.

How would you ever prove that you had an oil pressure spike? Unless you were data-logging oil pressure at the moment of the failure, you are shooting in the dark. On the other hand, if you have a reason to suspect anything other than a cheap filter failing, you could always replace the oil pump or the oil pressure relief valve I guess... but if it were me, I'd wait and see if the problem ever happens with a quality filter that was installed properly.
you do have a point
Old 02-22-2012, 08:28 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of my NAs did this (my first one), the pressure regulator stuck and I had max oil pressure, blew the seal just like that and dumped a buch of oil but no fire. It was a mahle filter too. Got a tow, put in another filter and oil and the pressure was still at max. Mine was a an 85.5, and in the process I upgraded to the newer oil cooler, don't remember for sure which regulator I had, but never had a problem again. YMMV...Bruce
Old 02-23-2012, 02:06 AM
matt4674
Track Day

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Possibly a doubled oil filter base gasket. Old gasket from the old filter stuck to the mount and new gasket on the new filter, that will create a jet of oil at high pressure to come out between them due to lack of side support.

Always check for this, I make the two filters 'kiss' to be sure the gaskets are there and they match up.
good thought, checked and ok

Originally Posted by zerMATT951

I respect your opinion but i am not going to risk just putting a new filter on and then it blowing another seal while I am out driving. if this were to happen anywhere other then at an autox, with 5 fire extinguishers within 100ft, i would have had a complete 944 fireball on the side of the road

look at what 962Porsche says in his first reply in the below post. that would fit my scenario because there was an oil leak starting from where i was parked to the pits then the start line where i had my fire as soon as I took started my run. meaning it blew the seal when i started the car.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...tion-84-a.html
Old 02-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

You guys are too quick to blame the filter – most likely too much oil pressure.
I have seen quite a few oil pressure relief valves get sticky – the stock system can put out well over 150psi if the relief valve gets stuck. Most go over 100psi when cold even with a good OPRV.

Is yours a 3 piece or one piece OPRV? (either one can get jammed but the 3 piece is more likely to get stuck).

Install a mechanical oil pressure gauge the reads up to 150 psi.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:25 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Chris White
You guys are too quick to blame the filter – most likely too much oil pressure.
I have seen quite a few oil pressure relief valves get sticky – the stock system can put out well over 150psi if the relief valve gets stuck. Most go over 100psi when cold even with a good OPRV.

Is yours a 3 piece or one piece OPRV? (either one can get jammed but the 3 piece is more likely to get stuck).

Install a mechanical oil pressure gauge the reads up to 150 psi.
Ok, I'm out. Chris is definitely the expert on this...

We just had to chat it up enough to keep the thread near the top until Chris had a chance to see it.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:48 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Quick Reply: FIREEE!!!!