Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pikington will make saratoga tops Again

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 01:10 AM
geno
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeast
The Saratoga tops are actually for power sunroof cars.

I custom fabricated a couple of pieces to convert them to manual, which I prefer. That said, I think I'd try and get your power roof working and then drop the Saratoga top in place.
mine from lart ( earlier version, silver not Bronze) is manual. I assume it was optional back then and perhaps may still be.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:09 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I have the car out today. I love a top you get light thru. The top has given my car a nice look and having that extra light in the car really gives a good feeling. And I used the car as it was intended this morning, like I was on the track. We have some nice roads to really get the cars going. Twists and turns, hills and straights. Nothing like a morning romp.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:02 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered and received my Pilkington top. I'm having problems with the install, though. Where the stock top slides into place and the front latches are fixed, the latches on the Pilkington (the side ones that clamp in front) rotate around quite a bit. I tried to point them forward for installation, and I was able to slide the top on, but the latches are much too tight to close. I would distort the plastic latches if I were to force it. I gave up tonight and put the stock top back on. It seemed to be aligned correctly in the hole, and the top was flush with the roof pretty much. Do the latches rotate for adjustment like the quick release hub on a bicycle fork? The stock top closes with ease and no notable tension on those front clamps, but this glass top appears to be overly snug in the seals. Any help appreciated!

PS these are supposedly the newer latches, as Pilkington said that the retrofitted all of their stock to the new and improved design.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:24 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

The one I have has an adjustment to release pressure if I recall. Can you send a pic
Old 06-07-2016, 04:21 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your post was at 9:24...LOL

EDIT: time zone setting changed, but it originally showed 9:24!!
Old 06-10-2016, 11:59 AM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002M3Drew
I ordered and received my Pilkington top. I'm having problems with the install, though. Where the stock top slides into place and the front latches are fixed, the latches on the Pilkington (the side ones that clamp in front) rotate around quite a bit. I tried to point them forward for installation, and I was able to slide the top on, but the latches are much too tight to close. I would distort the plastic latches if I were to force it. I gave up tonight and put the stock top back on. It seemed to be aligned correctly in the hole, and the top was flush with the roof pretty much. Do the latches rotate for adjustment like the quick release hub on a bicycle fork? The stock top closes with ease and no notable tension on those front clamps, but this glass top appears to be overly snug in the seals. Any help appreciated!

PS these are supposedly the newer latches, as Pilkington said that the retrofitted all of their stock to the new and improved design.
Go to post #1301 or so of this thread. I installed the new latches as as retrofit, and they were too tight at first.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:06 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

Hi everyone

Am about to purchase a new Saratoga top from Pilkington for my 944. For anyone who's had theirs for a few years now, how's it holding up? Good? Just wanted to be sure before I spent the money that it'll last.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:22 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

I got mine when they first came out and has done great. The holding tabs did get loose like others experienced but they sent me the repair kit asap and for free. It's really worth it in my opinion, makes the car feel a little newer and if you had saggy vinyl like me it was a huge improvement.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:57 PM
bumflick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also got in on the original reissue and love it. I'm 6'1", and felt a bit close to the roof. The extra half inch of clearance seems to be much more than it really is, and the glass really brightens up the cabin from all that black trim.

once the latch repair kit was installed, no issues.

warning. I live in Atlanta. Sunny summer days, that glass top can seem like a bad idea. I'm playing with a roll up sunshade concept that would not infringe on interior space.

Malcolm
Old 11-06-2016, 12:17 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I leave mine in all year round (northern CA). It's not that hot. Also, consider the much larger and less-tinted surface area of your back hatch.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:51 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

Installed my new Pilkington Saratoga Top this evening on my 951 -- love it ! Seems to seal perfectly, roof operates normally. Anyways I'll take it for a drive this weekend (the car is parked in by 2 other cars / not a daily driver and moving the other 2 cars won't happen until the weekend.. alas)

After installing, I did notice that if I move the sunroof up and down to vent position (ignition position 2 / on), there's a creaking of the seals. Wonder if I should lube the new rubber with Wurth Rubber Care?
Old 11-29-2016, 06:45 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

I love my top too. Had it from the beginning and was a great addition to the car. I love how light it is in the car, as compared to the hard top.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:49 AM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nashvegas
...After installing, I did notice that if I move the sunroof up and down to vent position (ignition position 2 / on), there's a creaking of the seals. Wonder if I should lube the new rubber with Wurth Rubber Care?
That sounds reasonable, I think I'll try that too. While you're buying the lube, you might as well also buy the Wurth weatherstrip adhesive, because you're going to need that as well. At least 30% of my seal has come loose.

Quick Reply: Pikington will make saratoga tops Again