Pikington will make saratoga tops Again

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 12:12 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Call the W.B. Jones Spring Company

http://www.springsfast.com/

I've used these guys to make custom springs in the past -- a guy by the name of Dirc Lindeman in particular. They're cheap and fast. You can have them make springs exactly the way you need, rather than hunting down springs in hardware stores. If you have a sample -- like Greg's hood spring segment, they can replicate easily. If you do a couple dozen or more, I bet they will even be cheaper than whatever you find at retail. I didn't get a top, otherwise I'd take the lead. Crazy Eddie needs something to do though....
Old 03-09-2015, 12:57 AM
zermattsilver
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JacRyann
Zermattsilver, take a look at the Century Spring catalogue. Most likely the spring you seek is in their inventory. Also McMaster.
Yes, there are multiple sources for springs.

The caveat is to find a spring with a spring rate (and correct install height) that will achieve proper tension, so to keep the top sealed, but not place undo pressure on the glass. Maybe a machined urethane retainer cup base should be several inches in diameter to distribute the load on the glass.

Or, just replace the urethane springs every couple months; they are only a few dollars to purchase new.

Last edited by zermattsilver; 03-12-2015 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:19 PM
82-928/89-S2
Advanced

Hi guys,

Do you feel lucky?

15% off on these now with promo code SALESPRING.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:25 PM
glen2002
Racer

Originally Posted by 82-928/89-S2
Hi guys,

Do you feel lucky?

15% off on these now with promo code SALESPRING.
82-928 does the SALESPRING by Pilkington refer to the fact that sale is on because it is becoming the season of spring or a sale because the spring is faulty?

I assume nothing more has been heard from Pilkington? I hope they can find a straightforward solution at low cost to them (heck I would happily pay them or others for a replacement spring), it doesn't leave them in a great position with a years worth of forum posts about a known problem if a 951 sunroof flies off and decapitates a photogenic cheerleader(which I pray doesn't happen).
Old 03-18-2015, 01:08 PM
82-928/89-S2
Advanced

Hi Glen,

Actually I did hear direct from Pilkington's Operations/Sales Manager via email and asked if I could forward the news over to Rennlist. He agreed.

I'd like to mention that he has been extremely cooperative and quick to respond to all of my emails.

Like most of you, I've been waiting for a "fix" for the issues reported here on Rennlist and as it turns out I've been told Pilkington is very close to having a resolution to the problem (about a month's time).

Apparently, the engineering team for the Saratoga top had to be diverted, but he was able to get them back on the project.

Once the fix is implemented all of their remaining stock will be converted over to the new revision.

Unfortunately, I don't know the details of how the retrofit process will work for those who already have tops with issues.

Let's all say a prayer that this works out.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 82-928/89-S2
Hi Glen,
Apparently, the engineering team for the Saratoga top had to be diverted, but he was able to get them back on the project.
Actually, I'd be more confident if a new team was in charge of the fix. Often, putting exactly the same people on the job that now needs fixing is not the best way of achieving a satisfactory outcome on time and on budget.

In any case, I might sit on the sidelines a bit longer and watch to see how this all pans out.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:28 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

What is the current price with the discount?
Old 03-19-2015, 06:04 AM
glen2002
Racer

82-928, Thank you very much for the update and great to hear the good news. Also the great communication you are receiving, my experience wasn't as fortunate probably due to an AU email. I am glad they have found a solution and looking forward to installing it, I really like the sunroof and the extra light it adds - but I also like to be able to drive over 100kmh.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:26 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It's gotta be said, Pilk said a retrofit kit was a couple of weeks away in July 2014.

I get that this was probably a tiny production run and we are a slightly ornery bunch, but this has been a tiny bit amazing.

Anyway, I'm patient and up for whatever works.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:13 PM
bumflick
Racer

Considering the quality of the communication so far and the repeated delays to this alleged fix, I'm curious about a couple things:

How will the availability of this fix be communicated all buyers, not just this community?
I assume this will be free, and not pitched as some sort of optional safety upgrade for high speed driving?

928/S2, apparently you are the only one the burning bush will talk to. Any ideas?
Old 03-21-2015, 02:17 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bumflick
Considering the quality of the communication so far and the repeated delays to this alleged fix, I'm curious about a couple things:

How will the availability of this fix be communicated all buyers, not just this community?
I assume this will be free, and not pitched as some sort of optional safety upgrade for high speed driving?

928/S2, apparently you are the only one the burning bush will talk to. Any ideas?
ROTFLMAO !!
Old 03-21-2015, 03:37 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Burning Bush!!!

LMAO!!!
Old 03-21-2015, 07:19 PM
bumflick
Racer

Sorry, could not resist. My daughter is in a comparative religion class and we were talking about Passover and Easter and the shared Judeo-Christian history... happy Easter and Shalom to those who observe, by the way.

Seriously though. Any ideas 're my original questions?
Old 03-22-2015, 03:57 PM
82-928/89-S2
Advanced

I thought I would try and help the community out (and ultimately, myself) by offering some of my engineering background to help solve this problem.

I approached them with “gratitude” for their support of our community and got a similar response back. That’s when I was informed they were close to a resolution.

Apparently, the revision needs to be done at the factory so there is no stand alone “kit” that will be available.

I believe the way it will work is if anyone calls Pilkington with an issue with their top, Pilkington will request that the top be sent back to them for a replacement. I do not know the specifics of how the exchange will work.

I would recommend that everyone reading this take what I’ve written with a grain of salt until the resolution is finalized including the ETA.

I have enough experience in the field to know that things can change pretty quickly in the final stretch of a project, especially if resources are tight.

It’s also possible I may not have all my facts straight, but this is what I understood from our email exchange.

Time will tell how all this pans out...
Old 03-22-2015, 04:44 PM
glen2002
Racer

82 -928, thank you very much for sharing your communication, it at least gives some indication of likely outcomes. Especially for those of us outside the USA, any 'factory retrofit' is likely to be cost prohibitive, this may even be the case for those some distance from Ohio.

I think because the manufacturer solution has always been 'just a few weeks away' people like ZermattSilver haven't stepped up and made an alternative kit, your comments at least give some clarity if they choose to. They also give some indication to owners of their likely options. This clear communication is good news. Big thanks for relaying your discussions.

PS I am genuinely grateful that Pilks have produced the sunroofs, with or without the spring issue - this is not really something I could have my local glazier knock up. I appreciate that Pilkington Classics is a small band of enthusiast engineers and glass guys and would prefer they are making sunroofs for me or others rather than answering emails. But to think they aren't answering emails because they were combative emails isn't really reflective of reality. My first email to them - still unanswered - was "Hello, I believe you are remaking the Saratoga Top for Porsche 944. I would like to buy one, how do I go about this?

PPS I just wanted to say I would still recommend and buy this sunroof, with or without the spring issue, and think it is a great option for our cars. I am grateful Pilks made them. I believe that slightly better communication may have alleviated much of the frustration here.

Last edited by glen2002; 03-22-2015 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Add PPS

Quick Reply: Pikington will make saratoga tops Again