Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

T-Bar Question / Ride Height Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 01:44 AM
Monte951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question T-Bar Question / Ride Height Question

I have an 88 951 w/ an all around stock suspension.

I have noticed that the car was sitting all caddywompus. The car sits at 25 1/2" (Measured from the ground to the top of the fender well) on three corners but is a half inch lower (25") on the rear drivers side. Struts and shocks seem fine during driving and with the push on the fenders test.

I believe i can adjust the eccentric bolts on the spring plate to raise this corner up a half inch and all should be well but is it normal to have just one corner go low? What are the signs that a TB is bad? Can i adjust this one side without affecting the other?

What possible solutions do i have? This is a weekend car that sees a fair share of spirited driving but no track or DE. Coilovers seem to be a bit of overkill for my needs and my wallet as the car handles great for the action it sees.

Reindexing seems like a possibility but i havn't came across any info with just one side of the car being low. Wouldn't reindexing just alter the entire height of the rear at the same rate on both sides? And is 25 1/2" about where i want to be? It sure looks good, and seems to handle good as well.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:25 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

What you should do is have the car corner balanced at ready-to-drive weight - that includes you in it (or weight in the driver's seat equal to you).

This will give you the best handling and car feel either on the street or the track. Who know... maybe there was some body repair work that makes it "look" caddy-wompuss even though the wheels are equally sharing the load.

If you just start messing with those spring plate eccentrics to change the look, you're going to sacrifice handling - unless you really know what you're doing.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:05 PM
kinglenario
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can easily adjust one side with the eccentric bolt. Easy fix. It's possible that one side loosened up and lowered to it's max. Those bolts are super tight from the factory but it could have been done by mistake during an alignment or something.

You should really measure your ride height from the bottom of the torsion bar tube to the ground in the rear, and from the head of the castor block bolt to the ground in the front. Body work on a curved fender is not a very accurate spot to measure from.

Quick Reply: T-Bar Question / Ride Height Question