Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VA inspection time: where should I take the 951

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:14 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VA inspection time: where should I take the 951

OK, so far after moving to northern VA I'm a fan. Love the area, the PCA is super active, and the weather isn't nearly as bad as MA.

BUT -- I'm petrified of all things traffic related (80 MPH is reckless driving???? Come on...) and I've heard horror stories about state inspection.

Let me preface this by saying my car is in really great shape. Nearly every major part is newish and she looks beautiful. That said, it's a not-too-common car with lots of after market stuff and I'm worried this will get me.

Where would you guys recommend? I'm in the Fairfax area.

Thanks!
Collin
Old 01-19-2012, 01:21 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
OK, so far after moving to northern VA I'm a fan. Love the area, the PCA is super active, and the weather isn't nearly as bad as MA.

BUT -- I'm petrified of all things traffic related (80 MPH is reckless driving???? Come on...) and I've heard horror stories about state inspection.

Let me preface this by saying my car is in really great shape. Nearly every major part is newish and she looks beautiful. That said, it's a not-too-common car with lots of after market stuff and I'm worried this will get me.

Where would you guys recommend? I'm in the Fairfax area.

Thanks!
Collin
Hey Collin... welcome to the area!

Not sure if Taylor is doing inspections.. but is an awesome guy, highly recommended:
http://taylorchapman.com/default.aspx

I have used IMA (near taylors shop..), excelent work, with several one of a kind cars in his stable including a full composite 944T...
http://www.imamotorsport.net/

German Auto Group in in Springfiedl (can bee seen from I95)
http://www.germanautogroupva.com/main.html

Biggest issue I have had with a state inspection in VA has been front wheel bearings (local shop favorite to gig on, so I service them the day before taking my cars in).. the issues you ahve will greatly depend on the shop.. I would tend to take it to a shop that either speciallizes in our cars, has respect for them, or a shop you trust..

Might also not hurt to have someone local give you a primer once over of the car prior to taking it in...

At least VA doesn't have photo enforcement of speed... watch out in MD... they LOVE their speed cameras!
Old 01-19-2012, 03:39 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

+1 million for Taylor. He's the only mechanic besides Joka that's worked on my 951 since I moved here. He's also the only mechanic in the area I would pay to work on my car. He's done some fabulous work and his customers have followed him as he's started his own shop. That says a lot to me that people are willing to drive twice as far to have him work on their cars.

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Hey Collin... welcome to the area!

Not sure if Taylor is doing inspections.. but is an awesome guy, highly recommended:
http://taylorchapman.com/default.aspx

I have used IMA (near taylors shop..), excelent work, with several one of a kind cars in his stable including a full composite 944T...
http://www.imamotorsport.net/

German Auto Group in in Springfiedl (can bee seen from I95)
http://www.germanautogroupva.com/main.html

Biggest issue I have had with a state inspection in VA has been front wheel bearings (local shop favorite to gig on, so I service them the day before taking my cars in).. the issues you ahve will greatly depend on the shop.. I would tend to take it to a shop that either speciallizes in our cars, has respect for them, or a shop you trust..

Might also not hurt to have someone local give you a primer once over of the car prior to taking it in...

At least VA doesn't have photo enforcement of speed... watch out in MD... they LOVE their speed cameras!
Old 01-19-2012, 04:40 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys! I'm going to take it to Taylor's tomorrow -- it's right by my local office.

It's funny: in any other state (except CA) I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried. But this seems like a whole other cab of worms.

Oh and don't even get me started on speed cameras. AZ has the most plentiful number of any state. Unfortunately for the state, they have lost money on them every year -- there's a loophole which effectively states you don't need to pay unless issued by a physical person. Weeeeeeee.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:42 PM
mylesfast
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly any regular shop is fine for the inspection, its not that in depth -just a check to see if the car is safely drivable

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.sh...pectionProgram

FYI thanks for the reminder
where in fairfax?
Old 01-19-2012, 05:44 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ramius665
+1 million for Taylor. He's the only mechanic besides Joka that's worked on my 951 since I moved here. He's also the only mechanic in the area I would pay to work on my car.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:57 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
At this point, aren't we basically bartering for work? I seem to remember that you are pretty fond of my wife's cooking.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:01 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ramius665
At this point, aren't we basically bartering for work? I seem to remember that you are pretty fond of my wife's cooking.
Well, there is that....
Old 01-19-2012, 06:31 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Va get together this spring? im sure there are some nicer roads up there than there are near the coast!
Old 01-19-2012, 07:21 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

I might be up for that
Old 01-19-2012, 07:55 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

I'm right at Jermantown and 66. Got the place more as a crash pad -- got an awesome garage but not much living space! Doesn't really since I work in Boston during the week...

And I'd totally be down for a get together. I honestly know like a dozen people in this area. And most of them are friends of my girlfriend.... Ayyy

Originally Posted by mylesfast:9199577
honestly any regular shop is fine for the inspection, its not that in depth -just a check to see if the car is safely drivable

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.sh...pectionProgram

FYI thanks for the reminder
where in fairfax?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:19 PM
eospeed
Racer

Intersport in tysons corrner
Old 01-20-2012, 04:20 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jtsporsche
Va get together this spring? im sure there are some nicer roads up there than there are near the coast!
Not really.... west and southwest is where most of the fun roads in VA are...

And yes, I have driven almost the entire state... (ex wifes grandmother lives in Richlands / claypool hill area...)

Perhaps we all meet somewhere in the middle.. now if we could only find someplace in the middle of the state, with enough space for 10 or 15 944s... perhaps with garage space, and an inviting host...
Old 01-22-2012, 12:35 AM
ltdan12a
Instructor

I have access to a shop where we can have a Meet and Greet this spring...
Old 01-23-2012, 11:19 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Success! Dropped the car off at Chapman's on Friday and went through without a hitch. I guess I was just being paranoid -- Taylor and Andrew said 'No problems at all. In fact, the car's in really great shape.'

Thanks for the help guys. Really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: VA inspection time: where should I take the 951