951 OWNERS-HIGH IDLE SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 05:08 PM
friendlyguy64
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 951 OWNERS-HIGH IDLE SOLVED

SOLUTION SOLVED....

ok guys so I have an 88 951!!! I just had the head replaced, all the vacuum lines, dme temp sensor, removed the ICV and yet I still got the high idle staying around 2k rpms. Next step was to check the TPS. So I checked the voltage like Clarks garage suggested it, everything seemed fine. So I decided to take a closer look into the TPS sensor. When I opened it up nothing but oil came out of it!!!! I knew my turbo was leaking oil, but not this bad!!!

So guys before you go out and spend your money on vacuum lines, ICV, etc open your TPS and see if theres oil!!! The oil dried up so that when the throttle moved the strips would stick!!!

How this helps out everyone....Its been months for me....
Old 01-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Before you put a new TPS on there, rebuild the TB with new O-rings. The oil gets in the TPS when it blows by the seals that after 25+ years are more akin to shredded rubber.

http://www.arnnworx.com/catalog/inde...index&cPath=66
Old 01-17-2012, 10:16 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I need to check mine again... how difficult is it to crack the TPS open? I've been thinking about opening it up to clean whatever contacts are in there, but I never thought about oil. I rebuilt my TB not long ago and yes, the seals were solid chunks of rotten rubber, so I'm sure plenty of oil and other things were forced into the TPS.

Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 01-18-2012, 03:51 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

This is on my list of things to do, actually. Arnnworx has a write-up on how to do it here. I could be wrong but it looks to me like the type of procedure with equal chances of fixing or destroying it, but hey.. if you're gonna buy a new one anyway...
Old 01-18-2012, 05:36 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I opened mine up with zero damage. Take your time and it is not that hard. I ran a sharp knife around the join line in the plastic casing.

Interestingly, mine filled up with coolant when the throttle body heater hose blew out. When I pulled it apart 6 months later it was still full of coolant.

Quick Reply: 951 OWNERS-HIGH IDLE SOLVED