Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wierd Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 11:19 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Wierd Clutch problem

My 951 showed yet another of its quirks this morning. I started her up like normal, in gear but with the clutch pedal depressed, but it lurched forward like I didn't have the clutch in.
I put the shifter in neutral and it started up fine. I tried to shift into gear and the shifter wouldnt go into any gear. I thought I had broken the clutch cable at this point. I messed with it for about a minute trying to get it to go into gear, when I finally slammed the clutch pedal hard all the way to the floor. After that it worked fine, but felt as thought the mesh point was a little deeper than before.

I have extremely worn CV joints with a torn boot that I am planning on replacing this weekend, but I dont see how that could have caused this.

Recently, it has felt like the clutch doesn't have as tight of an enagement as before, but I assumed this was just the worn CV joints that were to blame for the sloppy feeling.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else?
Any Ideas on what it might be and is it safe for me to drive the car 3 hours home from school this weekend? I sure as hell don't want to break down in the middle of rural Alabama. Guess how many Porsche mechanics there are here.
Old 11-12-2002, 12:56 PM
Loki
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check your brake/clutch fluid resivoir. Sounds like you may have a bad slave cylinder. Located on bell housing, drivers side. You may have air in the line now and that explains the mushy pedal and inability to engage. When you mashed on the pedal to get it to work you may have just built up enough pressure in the line to barely work. Try bleeding the slave cylinder and inspect for leaks.

Chris '86 951
Old 11-19-2002, 02:41 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts
I bet your car has the original clutch, right?

The little clutch disk springs tend to break, and get hung up in the fingers of the pressure plate. This prevents the presure plate from moving far enough away from the flywheel. Because of this, the clutch disk is still spinning and so is the transmission.

Time for a clutch!

Quick Reply: Wierd Clutch problem