Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

HELP! Does anyone know the trick to remove the Cam-belt from 87 951?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 12:33 AM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation HELP! Does anyone know the trick to remove the Cam-belt from 87 951?

Maybe I am missing something. I am tired and the eyes will not focus that well. BUT, how do you remove the cam-belt and get it past the tensioning device? It looks like there is no room to remove the belt. Is there a trick or procedure I am missing? The balance shaft belt was no problem, but as usual Porsche's can be an enigma, surounded by a puzzle wrapped in a riddle. Can someone offer up some advise to a frustrated shade-tree machanic?

Thanks very much in advance!!
Old 11-09-2002, 12:40 AM
AMCPILOT
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 22 Posts
On the front of the tensioner are two holes ... the same tool used to hold the balance shaft rollers still when tightening/loosening the retaining bolt is used to move the tensioner away from the belt (i.e. compress the tensioner spring) and then you can remove the belt. I have the tool and that is what I use, but I have seen similar and slightly cheaper ways of doing it with other tools, but have not tried it. You can try to use a large flathead screwdriver to apply leverage on the tensioner to achieve the same effect, I think. GOod luck.
Old 11-09-2002, 08:59 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The flatblade screwdriver(large) will work. Loosen both of the 12mm nuts. Push on the tensioner to free it up as some get a bit stiff. Once you have it free, put your ratchet on the left nut, push down on the tensioner, holding the pressure and tighten the nut. You should be able to remove the belt. ON reinstall, put the belt back on the cam gear in a counterclockwise fashion, from the top to the bottom. Since the tensioner has the spring, you can release the nut you tigtened previously and it may spring back but you may have to bump it with the screwdriver to release it, pop it if you will. If both sides of the belt feel good(at this point the bottom may be tighter than the top) rotate a few times to check tension, then use tension tool, cricket, or 45° trick to check your tension, adjust tensioner as needed. Double check TDC before you fire it up. BTW, if you don't have the tool to check belt tension, I've used the 45° twist and check method but I've always taken it by the shop to get them to double check me for $60. That's cheaper than a broken belt or bent valves IMHO.
Old 11-09-2002, 12:47 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation

Oops, posted this in the wrong thread....

Thanks for the advise. I have put tension on the spring and moved the tensioner assembly to the side, BUT the belt is still under the assembly, do you have to remove the tenioner assembly to get at the belt. Also, do you have to take off the crankshaft bolt and pull the crankshaft pulley to remove the belt?

Thanks again for the advise, we are geting closer!!

Quick Reply: HELP! Does anyone know the trick to remove the Cam-belt from 87 951?