Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Why is it so hard to sell these cars????

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 07:25 PM
RAD951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Why is it so hard to sell these cars????

I have been trying to sell my 944 turbo for the past 4 weeks and only had 3 people take a look at it. And they were all bullsh@ters. Amn I asking too much?? $8500 Seems fair to me considering all work,money, and modifications I have done to the car. What do you think the bottom dollar of my car should be? It has 149k miles.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:34 PM
icat
Race Car

The car looks good - at least from your photos. The modifications maybe giving you some difficulties. As these cars get older, the stock examples will command the higher dollars. New owners, especially those who know little about the cars, will assume your car is a hot rod and your getting rid of it because you've ate up most of the life in the car. Not necessarily true, just what they may be thinking. This is one of the reasons I've kept the original mirrors, wheels, and door handles for mine. You never know when the "old stuff" will become valuable!

I certainly wouldn't lower your price, but you might try raising it. You'd be surprised at the number of people who might jump at a high dollar "hot rod" and pass on the low buck example.

Just my nickle, your mileage may vary!
Old 11-06-2002, 07:42 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

if your buyer (or potentials) would be more comfortable w/ a stock head i'll be glad to trade (with some cash involved of course) - how many miles on the head and what's been done w/ it?
Old 11-06-2002, 09:49 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The market of serious buyers for these cars is small, so you have to make sure your advertisting targets them well. If you want to sell fast, you'll have to list in a number of places where enthusiasts congregate.

What are you doing now?
Old 11-06-2002, 10:41 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but let's see here, if I were buying:

powerhaus head/o-ringednged/surfaced/portpolished- no biggie, if I weren't planning on upping the boost big time

free-flow exhaust/wastegate pipe resonator- can be loud for some tastes, again no big deal though

cone filter +nology hotwires- these did cost you money I'm sure but don't do a whole lot...

gauges in a-pillar are also something I wouldn't want on a car I was buying.

HD clutch- again, not necessary at this power, maybe bad because of possible drivability issues and pedal feel

Guru racing stage 2 chips, MBC at 15 psi- big deal a manual boost controller and some chips

koni sport, welmeister 200 lb. progressive springs- I wouldn't consider just koni sports as much of an upgrade, and the 200lbs springs is only barely stiffer than stock.

I'd rather buy a stock car than yours, you really need to find somebody with very similar tastes as you do, not everybody would go the same route in modifying a 944 turbo...

On the otherhand I think you CAN get $8500 for your car, as it seems to be a nice example but you need to advertise in the right places (as mentioned previously), and might have to wait a bit. Porsches usually get more money in the spring
Ahmet
Old 11-06-2002, 10:43 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought my '86 951 in '98 for $7k. Came with leather seats, optional Fuchs wheels and a glass Saratoga top. I would rate it on a 8.5-9.0 for condition. No cracks in the dash, original floor-mats with the Porsche crest and the gold-threads was still bright, etc... But I did spend about 9-months looking for one...
Old 11-06-2002, 11:04 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Question

Why are you selling? And I thought you had 17" wheels in the car...
Old 11-06-2002, 11:17 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have to agree, on ever single issue, with Over1G on this (don't hate me for it). I've just been down the road with a modified vehicle and didn't like the end results (made the vehicle Much to specific to one thing and it really drew away from the rest) so now I'm picky and want stock or 'upgraded only when something stock needed replaced and there was a better option'.

I also agree that the car should be able to sell at $8500... shoot, I've seen a few suckers pay more for less.

Good luck... and don't worry about us being overly critical - we're not your buyers.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:42 AM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Or it could be the bad economy......
Old 11-07-2002, 01:10 AM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had my car up for sale over the summer for $12,000. I was offered $10,000 by a serious party (PCA) and $11,500 by someone who couldnt seem to get a loan worked out. I ended up turning the $10,000 down because the car is worth more than that to ME. I may not have all the mods in the world, but the money Ive spent on prev. maint. could have bought me another 951. A good example will fetch a good price and as has been previously stated, the serious buyers group is small. Good thing for you that that the group of good examples left is also small.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:35 AM
Tadi
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Danno:
<strong>I bought my '86 951 in '98 for $7k. Came with leather seats, optional Fuchs wheels and a glass Saratoga top. I would rate it on a 8.5-9.0 for condition. No cracks in the dash, original floor-mats with the Porsche crest in with the gold-threads still bright, etc... But I did spend about 9-months looking for one...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry for the OT - Danno, I'm intrigued by the glass top you mentioned. Have any pics? If I recall, they're out of production now, but does anyone have a line on purchasing one of these? How much should I expect to pay for one for the electric sunroof?
Old 11-07-2002, 12:46 PM
christian
Racer

Look at this one which sold on ebay today. Mileage is 135 K. I would rate this one at about 2 K worth more than yours, so the right price for yours is more like 6,500. The market is weak right now.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1871634941" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1871634941</a>
Old 11-07-2002, 01:04 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Tadi:
<strong>

Sorry for the OT - Danno, I'm intrigued by the glass top you mentioned. Have any pics? If I recall, they're out of production now, but does anyone have a line on purchasing one of these? How much should I expect to pay for one for the electric sunroof?</strong><hr></blockquote>

They were made by Saratoga and come up on ebay fairly regularly. I've seen a low of ~$270 and a high over over $400 for the tops - so it's just whatever the market can bear at the time. Heh, I bid $250 on the one that went for $270 - almost had it.. bugger. I don't know if they all have this feature, but there was mirrored tint (with the mirror on the inside) of 2 that I've seen - That would be stripped off ASAP for some regular tint.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:22 PM
RAD951
Racer

The modifications on the car are just minor modifications. But its the amount of maintenance that the car has recieved since last January. Not to mention a BRAND NEW REBUILT HEAD that cost me $1000. Along with a thousands of repairs that would've costed even more if I didn't do them myself. I think people just don't believe me (20 year old) could've done all that work on the car especially on a PORSCHE. They are always skeptical or something and think that I am lying about replacing the head and doing the waterpump and belts. Anyway, I definitely think that my car is worth more than $7500. The car doesn't need a thing. I think I will consider hiring the price to $10k maybe I will have better results. Any buyers out there??
Old 11-07-2002, 03:23 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unfortunately, there were more '86 951s made than all the succeeding years combined! So the shear numbers out there tend to depress the prices since there's always someone else out there who will undercut your prices.

Some friends up by Laguna just bought a used '86 951 that they're stripping into a race car and I can't believe the deal they got for it...

Personally, I would prepare the 'papers' for the car. Get all the service records in order and write up repair-orders for the jobs that you've done yourself. This always seem to make the overall package more credible.

Quick Reply: Why is it so hard to sell these cars????