Flushing the engine...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 01:42 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts
Arrow Flushing the engine...

Hi:

Just wondering if anyone has flushed their engines by having it hooked up to a machine at the oil filter and oil drain locations. I had it done to a Pontiac and it made the engine noticably smoother by cleaning the gunk out with some sort of detergent. The dealership said warm detergent is pumped into the engine through the oil filter port and sucked out from the drain hole (or vice versa? ) using the machine. I'm just wondering if this would harm our engines. I didn't really care all that much about the Pontiac, but this is a whole different story Thanks,
sm
Old 10-28-2001, 07:07 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
I ran some STP engine detergent in mine right after I bought it. I took one of the plugs off the cam tower to inspect the internals. The cam had a good deal of varnish on it, and the oil control baffles were a touch sludgy.

Simple process. When you are a QT low, and need an oil change, dump it in. Let it sit at idle for 15min - 30 min and then change. Be sure to let it drain for a good amount of time. You want all that detergent out.

I know that the PO overheated the car at least once, and ran Penzoil in it all the time. There was a ton a varnish in there. It helped some. I pulled the plug on the cam tower again and you could see that there was minimal sludge, and less varnish on the oil baffles.

When I did the rebuild, with 125,000 on it, there was not much sludge at all, but a good deal of varnish.

I was satisfied with the $4 bottle of goo. I would think of doing it 1 time per 10,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Flushing the engine...