Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Hard v. Soft vacuum lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 06:52 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Sorry kids, I have not had a chance to head out to the garage and measure the wall thickness of the hoses. I will... I am just swamped at work and havn't been home since Saturday.

I need to do some work on it Wednesday and will get the wall size.

I got 15 feet of the 3.5, 10 feet of the 6mm and 10mm. I was unsure of all the sizes, so I just got a good amount of all of it.

I used about 9 feet of the 3.5mm, and all 10ft of the 6mm. The 10mm will work on the hoses that run from the cycling valve and intake boot, but you need some quality hose clamps.

Since I am running a boost controller, I took out the cycling valve and capped off the holes.
Old 10-30-2001, 04:55 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IceShark:
Wow, Cole-Parmer? That..
I used this as reference since I know you guys do not have access to the lists of European suppliers, this might have caused some unintended confusion.
...under a buck a foot.
Don't worry, the tube I got (od 6,4MM / id 3,2 MM) is LIST US$ 0,286 / ft at the current exchange rate DISCOUNT 20%...
what sort of T's did you use?
Havn't got into that yet. I expect to find something in aluminum in the industrial supply for fittings for air cylinder control.
If everything else fails, I have access to a shop and can have fittings made if required (they have tools and a guy that can but-weld 1/4 x 0.035" stainless instrument tubing ASME coded and all!!)
Perry:
...and will get the wall size
Thanks
Old 10-30-2001, 11:32 AM
txhedg
Racer

Arrow

I just got the silicone hose I order from Hose Techniques, also. I have not fully installed it, but it looks to fit everything fine. I got the thick wall, 3.5mm ID tube. I have not measured wall thickness yet either, but it seems plenty thick to withstand the vac.

I first ordered their "sample" pack that included in it a card with actual size drawings of a cross section of the diff sizes, plus a sample of each. If you call hose techniques they may mail you just the size card (for free, rather than $10 incl shipping for the sample pak) If anyone needs it, and HT won't send them one, let me know and I can try to send a copy of the card.

the good news is that the HT silicone hose stretches significantly, so it gives you a good bit of leeway in fitting the various barbs
Old 10-30-2001, 11:45 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
txhedg, can you also tell us, after your install, EXACTLY what you used? I'm thinking there are lots of us that would like to order as well...

- wait, if we figured out EXACTLY what was needed - perhaps Hose Techniques would put together a package, much like they have for other makes/models....?

If there were a Porsche 951/944 "kit", I would've ordered it a while ago...
Old 10-30-2001, 01:39 PM
txhedg
Racer

Arrow

No problem......I have also ordered 5/32 and 1/4 inch T-connectors and angle connectors (ordered from a local industrial supply co....none of the local hardware stores had the right stuff), so I can tell you what exactly I used. The only concern is that my 951 is pretty modified(built as a track-only car), so I'm not certain if I have all the exact "plumbing" routing as stock.

I'll post later this week or next after completing.

But FYI, I ordered 15 feet of the 3.5mm thick wall from HT. The rest of the larger hose is either regular heater hose (new from recent engine rebuild) or replacement stainless steel wrapped hose (for fuel lines, etc) I ordered from Paragon Performance (no relation to Jason at Paragon Products). I also got about 10 feet of firebraid sleeving to insulate the wiring going from alt to starter and starter to battery.

HTH
Old 10-30-2001, 04:56 PM
keith
Drifting

where do you get the firebraid, BTW?
Old 10-30-2001, 05:59 PM
txhedg
Racer

I have ordered firebraid from both Longacre and Paragon Performance. Same stuff.

I think it was cheaper from Paragon, but delivery was not quite as quick (might have been due to ordering some other hose from them too, though)

Paragon Peformance (No affiliation to Paragon Products.....FYI)

Longacre
Old 10-30-2001, 09:34 PM
Tabor
Drifting

I don't see any mention of "thick wall" 3.5mm on thier site. Am I just missing it?
Old 10-31-2001, 12:29 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Hose Techniques is a marketing biz, so is frequently short on facts to prevent people raiding their biz. The 3.5mm is about 0.10 thick on walls. Not sure where they are actually buying it, as they do not make hose.

I suspect it is probably 1/8" hose like Hans used, except heavy wall.
Old 11-09-2001, 09:49 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Okay, I got some SVH from HoseTechnics. Am I to understand that I should zip-tie the hose to the connectors?
Old 11-10-2001, 12:50 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Zip tie or clamp only as a last resort if the hose pops off under boost.

This is one reason we have been having this long discussion on ID size and wall thickness - to avoid fittings on the end of hose over barb. If you got the correct stuff you won't need to.
Old 06-06-2002, 11:51 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anyone know where a good source is for the larger vacuum tubes (~3/4" ID) running from between the intake manifold runners to the intake pipe/brake booster and the idle actuator?

Are preformed (like stock) hoses highly recommended, or does anyone know of a good silicone hose that'll make those bends and not collapse?

Thanks!

~C
Old 06-07-2002, 01:25 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Hey guys, while I'm a believer in the "hard line" (factory) and dealer "180's" and "Y's", the silicone stuff can be found, usually in a clearish blue and opaque yellow at a good hobby store that sells nitro cars and airplane equipment.
The sizes are in metric and vary for different applications, but are usually available in thick wall also.
It holds up to 50% nitromethane content fuel, as I've run this fuel in a nitro powered OPS RC boat engine with no problems.
It's way cheaper than what I'm seeing here too, a 3ft. measured piece cost around $5, and comes prepackaged, but the dealer should have the suff on a roll behind the counter to cut to your desired length...

Try this link for the web, <a href="http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p.pgm?Q=1&I=LX0" target="_blank">silicone tubing</a>

Search in the box for silicone fuel tubing, you can get a 50' roll of 5/32 for $34.00

I've used this hose in sucking fuel from containers also with electric pumps with no colapsing..

Cheers all........
Old 05-06-2004, 04:01 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Those turbo T clamp hoses look good. What size is our throttle body hose?? 2.5 to 3.0 ???
Old 05-06-2004, 05:02 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw a 951 on ebay a few months back for sale. The owner said that he replaced ALL vacuum lines with stainless steel ones. YES stainless steel ones (so they don't leak in the future). Have no idea about the thicknesses and stuff, but come to think of it, isn't that the best thing you can do?

Quick Reply: Hard v. Soft vacuum lines