Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rev Limiter/Boost Cutoff? Or sumpin else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 07:03 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rev Limiter/Boost Cutoff? Or sumpin else?

Howdy...out for a bit of fun in my 951...Entering a limited access highway at WOT in third...Didn't have my eye on the tach but I'm sure I was near redline. Swung out to pass and then NOTHING. Vehicle cut out and then caught again. I got out of the throttle, slowed down, and then applied boost again with the same result, but well below redline this time. Almost like a "cough"...Got back out the throttle, rolled on the boost again to redline with no issue. I can say that the gas tank was very close to "R" and I'm wondering if some funky deposits got suck into the fuel system, or if my fuel filter needs replacing. I stopped and added fuel, made the run home without incident. I have run Techron through the car when I got it.

Any one have any thoughts? Thanks from a newbie...Bruce
Old 01-11-2003, 09:25 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like overboost protection. Try redlining your car in 2nd gear to get lower boost and to rule out overboost protection. What you'll feel then is the rev-limiter. They actually do feel different.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:21 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danno, as always, thanks for the response...Sounds like the car builds LOWER boost in second than in third? Seems I remember a chart in the owner's manual. I'll give that a try, though I've never experienced this issue before. That said, I was running the car hard, and it is COLD here - 25 degrees - and I know atmospherics can play a role in these cars (like all cars, I guess). I'll post an update...B

Quick Reply: Rev Limiter/Boost Cutoff? Or sumpin else?