Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

bilstein turbo cup shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 09:48 AM
Pannan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im planning to change my shocks to on the car. The car has the Sachs shocks now but i want to replace them with Bilstein or Koni. I heard that the Bilstein is simply bolt on, on cars that had Sachs before. But if I want to replace them with Koni do I need to replace the whole package in front?

The springs will be replaced with H&R

The car is a 951 1991 not with M-030 package
Old 01-17-2003, 10:48 AM
Pannan
Instructor

I have all the answer I need now.

/J
Old 01-18-2003, 03:09 PM
dagame27
Instructor

Ok so with my bilstein cup shocks I am going to want to use approx 350# springs in the fronts with approx 300# springs in the rear. Would these change at all knowing if I am using the stock or a bigger torsion bar? Also I believe the spring size I need for an 86 951 is 2.5 ID but what is the length I will need? Thanks Guys

Chris
Old 01-18-2003, 03:20 PM
tecart
Pro

what are the stock spring rates, also what is too much for agressive street use? i heard weltmeister springs were the best for the 944 turbos any truth to that? i heard that 250 pound springs is the way to go, and it loweres ride height 1.5 inches in front, any info on this, and then about the rears, i heard you can only get 1/2 inch lower out of torsion bars from stock, is that true? So how low to go with stiffer springs and what do i do about the rears no able to go as low as the front now if i do this? thanks
Old 01-18-2003, 04:56 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
An ideal 944 Turbo suspension setup will have the rear ride height slightly lower than the front [like Graham Gillies' car]. Another thing you want to keep mindful of is the WHEEL RATE that a spring will have at different locations on the car. Someone on this board had a spreadsheet of different suspension setups [about 30 of them] consisting of all different springs rates, and the front:rear WHEEL RATE differential [very useful info].

In another thread, someone described his experiences with all different WHEEL RATE differentials. A wheel rate 75% higher at the front was deemed good for the track [minimal understeer] and best for the street. Other setups like those used by Technodyne [?] had as low as a 50% front:rear WHEEL RATE differential, promoting more oversteer for an experienced driver. Going to equal wheel rates front/rear is said to provoke WAY too much oversteer for a track car...but probably wouldn't be noticed on the street.

I was considering going all-out with Bilstein coilovers and SUPER stiff springs...but after thinking about it for a long time it's not what I want. I don't need the height adjustability for a street car. I figure I'll get some sport shocks [Bilstein] and the 1" shorter Weltmeister springs at the front, then lower the ride height at the rear and have an alignment done. Then I can offset the slightly higher rate of a 1" shorter Weltmeister spring [200# Vs. ~140# stock] with a 968 m030 adjustable rear sway bar...front sway bar will remain stock. To see how spring rates compare to WHEEL RATES, refer to Paragon's Tech Session here:

<a href="http://64.226.197.185/Paragon/Info/944_tbar_rate_comparison.htm" target="_blank">http://64.226.197.185/Paragon/Info/944_tbar_rate_comparison.htm</a>

A general rule of thumb with the 944 Turbo is that front spring rates translate to ~90% wheel rate, rear torsion bar rates have about 100% wheel rate [great geometry, low weight], and rear coilovers have ~50-60% effective rate at the rear wheels [has me thinking they're really NOT meant to go there]...hope this helps.

Quick Reply: bilstein turbo cup shocks