Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Custom intake pipe question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 03:50 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Custom intake pipe question

I am in the middle of the installation of my TO4E and I am going to build a custom intake pipe from my cone filter to the compressor inlet. I really dont feel like drilling and welding provisions for all these little hoses that used to go into the stock J-Pipe if its not absolutely necessary. Is there any reason why I could not just put those little K&N breather filters on them?
Old 03-10-2003, 01:27 PM
silicondigital
User

To take the crankcase vent out of the j pipe, i believe you have to take the manifold off and enlarge the hole where the breather goes into where it vents from, to keep from getting too much pressure in the crankcase and blowing things (oil pan seal, dipstick, valve cover gasket). This is because the turbo puts a slight vacume on the breather hose when boosting, and without that you need to bump up the flow. Im not even sure what all that crap in the right corner of the engine bay is, and that little hose that goes from the j pipe to up there, but maybe someone does. you can just vent the BOV to the outside air too. Other then that one hose going to the unknown mass of things near the fuse box, its pretty much taken care of.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
The stuff by the fuse box is the vapor purge control. I would reccomend leaving it connected unless you pull all of it out.

For the BOV, unless you are running a MAP kit or standalone, you need to leave the BOV connected to the intake. Venting to the atmosphere in a stock or MAF configuration will result in a rich condition when you lift the throttle. If you are running a cat converter (you should be), you'll cook it in no time. The other down side is poor gas milage. At $2+ a gallon, I'd save every drop possibe.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:30 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Thanks SiliconDigital.
The only hose I will connect is the crank breather. But how much vaccuum can the turbo create just a KN cone as intake restrictions. Before, it had the AFM and all the long intake piping and airbox. I can definitely see a vaccuum being created there. But it seems like that filter is so free flowing that there would be hardly any vaccuum.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:43 PM
silicondigital
User

Im not sure just how much vaccume, but there was a huge thread on this not too long ago, and many people removeing the breather from the intake got excess crankcase pressure. Having the BOV into the intake is not all too critical either, but will shoot some extra fuel when you shift. I have a MAP sensor so it dosent bother mine.

Perry can you describe what this "vapor purge control" is, does, and hooks up to?
Ive had 5 944 based cars and it was on all of them, and i never knew what it all did.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
" can you describe what this "vapor purge control" is, does, and hooks up to?
Ive had 5 944 based cars and it was on all of them, and i never knew what it all did."

It traps gasoline that evaporates from the gas tank. It stores them in the canister in the left fender. Then when the car is warmed up, it feeds the fumes back to the intake, but only if the throttle is open. So you've got a whole lot of vacuum tubing and valves to make up this AND-IF-OR logic circuit.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:53 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
What Danno said!
Old 03-10-2003, 08:19 PM
silicondigital
User

Can i take it all out? what effect does it have on the engine? do i just plug all the lines or what?

Quick Reply: Custom intake pipe question