Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Is it possible to convert Autothority MAF & chip back to stock?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 01:05 AM
ZPmadA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to convert Autothority MAF & chip back to stock?

I bought my car (86 944 Turbo) with an Autothority MAF and Chip in it. I was wondering if it is possible to convert this back to original condition? I have a feeling classic status is just around the corner for these cars. Is it possible to prepare my car possible concours shows in the future? Are the chips in my car originals that were 'flashed', or were they exchanged and the originals are long gone? Do the chips and MAF have unique part numbers specific to the vin? Sorry for the newbie questions. I didn't do the conversion myself. If anyone did the conversion, I'd appreciate any input. It seems this is a 10 year old setup and it is difficult to find information about it. How long do Autothority MAFs last? I know on my Volvo they go about 60,000 miles and I don't think they have unique serial numbers.

Last edited by ZPmadA; 12-24-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:38 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can certainly retrofit, but will need to either replace the DME and KLR with stock units or source some stock chips to change out the ones in your car.

You will also need a stock airflow meter and air filter box to replace the MAF.

As for concours, that's a tall order unless the car is immaculate, as PCA concours examples go.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:12 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1

The conversion to APE didn't require any wire cutting or other irreversible changes - it was plug and play, so you should be able to convert it back as Luis mentions above. You may also look at the fuel pressure regulator, it may have been changed to a 3 bar unit.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to convert Autothority MAF & chip back to stock?