Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Max HP and passing California emissions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 07:49 PM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Max HP and passing California emissions

Just curious, I'd like to be able to invest some cash in my 951 this summer to squeeze out some horsepower but still want to be able to pass California smog sniffing at the next registration renewal. I think I can find an inspection facility that would live with the visual part of the inspection. It's the emissions test that I'm worried about.

My car is currently running Weltmeister chips, a shimmed wastegate and LBE. I had taken the original cat out and failed during the last emissions test. I put a new used cat in and passed with flying colors.

Any thoughts on what will and won't pass the emissions test here in California?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2002, 08:46 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, all the visual inspections should pass without any problems. The one sticking point is the exposed K&N filter. But make them look it up in the book and they'll see that the 944 Turbo is not required to have a TAC-Thermostatic Air Cleaner. All the crankcase gases are vented to the intake-plumbing before the turbo, not the air-cleaner box.

As for actual emissions, you lower your fuel-pressure using an adustable FPR so that it passes cleanly.
Old 03-19-2002, 10:09 PM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Intersting idea, hadn't thought of that.

Could theoretically any chip/turbo/MAF/??? system pass CA emissions testing if an adjustable FPR is set at stock or lower pressure?
Old 03-20-2002, 04:08 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can actually get away with a lot; providing you can still pass the smog tests. See my detailed reply here: <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/scripts/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=004786" target="_blank">Topic: Is ANYTHING aftermarket legal in California?</a>
Old 03-20-2002, 09:14 AM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Danno,

Thanks to the link to that thread. Very cool. I think I'm going to have some performance wrenching fun this summer!

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Max HP and passing California emissions