Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Why do they advertize it as a #6, when it really isn't?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 06:52 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Why do they advertize it as a #6, when it really isn't?

.Cleaned out the ol' k26/6 today. She's going to a good home . There is absolutely NO bearing play on the hotside of that turbo. I bought a SFR level 1 turbo to replace it . I went with the 54mm comp. wheel, the stage 3 trim and the #6 hotside. I chose a #6 because this will be an autox car and I really have NO intentions of making big horsepower.
. I just noticed that what was advertised as a #6 hot housing, really isn't (in fact). Sure, the housing is a kkk #6 unit. But it is bored out to accomodate a MUCH larger wheel. !?!?
.My questions are

- is this the same size wheel that SFR would use on the real turbotechnics hot side? (the #8)
-and how will this affect back-pressure. The exhaust "in" on the hotside is that of a #6, but it escapse thru a much larger wheel and opening than on that of a #6!?!?
-Did SFR bore out my hot side?
-I felt that since I stuck with a #6 and the diameter of the "out" is equal to that of the oe Down pipe, there would be no need to upgrade to a larger DP. But what should I think now?
-If I had gone with a K27/6, I would get the "real" oe (not bored out), and tiny little #6 right?!?!

theories and opinion are very welcome! SFR?

Looks like she might be running by the end of next week.

Quick Reply: Why do they advertize it as a #6, when it really isn't?